Need so info which is better Sony HC1 or HC3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdmbike to scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just looking for your info on which is better :confused: the Sony HC1 or HC3. Now I'm looking to buy an HD Cam and Im having a hard time with this one. Any help would be great. Mark

I thought the HC1 was already discontinued. Am I mistaken on that?

drbill:
I thought the HC1 was already discontinued. Am I mistaken on that?

I believe the HC1 is discontinued, but the A1 is still being sold.

Mark - you can fine some comparisons and discussion regarding these vidcams here. Not U/W related, but may be helpful in your decision making.

Still waiting for a small footprint replacement for my HD10U....

Yes HC1 is discontinued, there are a some available on amazon but the prices are in the $2400 range. Broadway photo might have A1's for around $1600 that would be a good price for a prosumer camcorder. I've bought my HC1 from them and I got exactly what was advertised. ( no affiliation with this web store)

There's a few HC1's on eBay also. Around $12-1300 or less if you want to bid. I shoot an HC1 and just recently looked at the HC3 in a store so here's my random thoughts:

The fixed viewfinder on the HC3 might be problematic w/o an external monitor depending on your housing back. And nobody's selling an HD monitor yet except Gates.

The top-loading feature on the HC3 is a good idea. I get tired of having to remove my camera from the mounting plate to change tapes.

I noticed they dropped the tele-macro and expanded focus buttons. They're useful for macro work. Amphibico(and others) provide a manual control for them on their HC1 housing.

Stills are up in resolution, 4MP vs. 2.8 for mine. But I'm not sure how the flash on the front of the lens barrel is going to work, I'm thinking there will be some reflection off the front port of some housings. Pure speculation on my part though.

There's no external mic jack on the HC3 so forget using it with an external u/w microphone.

hth,

sjspeck:
The fixed viewfinder on the HC3 might be problematic w/o an external monitor depending on your housing back. And nobody's selling an HD monitor yet except Gates.

The top-loading feature on the HC3 is a good idea. I get tired of having to remove my camera from the mounting plate to change tapes.

hth,

Steve brings up some good points including the above. I tested the HC3 in my housing and it is difficult (but not impossible) to see through the viewfinder because the camera sits so far forward in the housing. I'm looking at testing it with a small LCD monitor I have when my buddy comes back from his vacation.

I used the Gates housing with the HC3 and there is no need for an external monitor as the viewing area on the back of the housing makes viewing the LCD display which is 2.5 inches perfectly. I would never even consider spending the extra money on the external monitor after using this setup . You can hold the HC3 in the Gates housing at arms length and still see and control the shot perfectly. Haven't tried any other housings.

Jessica

PS - The second set is now up on Ebay for those of you that were following interested. This is the last one as the first one has already sold. It is in mint condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=300063998239&rd=1&rd=1

I've shot both cameras extensively underwater, and would choose the HC3 in a heartbeat due to better low light performance. I miss some of the more advanced features on the HC1 (I used an a1, its pro body brother), but the video that comes out of the HC3 is that much better...

Ryan:
I've shot both cameras extensively underwater, and would choose the HC3 in a heartbeat due to better low light performance. I miss some of the more advanced features on the HC1 (I used an a1, its pro body brother), but the video that comes out of the HC3 is that much better...
First thanks to all who responded. Now Ive read that the HC3 is not good in low light conditions and the auto w/b is not as good as the HC1. Now I know that the HC1 is just about gone I have found a few still out there. Just dont know if it worth the money to buy an old dis model that if I was to flood my housing the cam is gone and I cant get any more.. I'm just looking to you guy for any advise. Thanks Again Mark

Ryan:

Soooo glad to hear that. I was concerned about low light performance on the HC3, but this is reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom