Need so info which is better Sony HC1 or HC3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve, my A1u comes today I hope. Cant wait Mark

mdmbike to scuba:
Steve, my A1u comes today I hope. Cant wait Mark
Cool, decided on a housing?

Got my cam and so far I love it way way way cool. Well right now its going to be the EVO not the pro to many buttons for me to srcew with. Just not sure where to get it. Dont know if it better to use there web sit or someone else. I do like the unit with the LCD in the rear of the unit boy that nice. But it looks like thats only for the HC3 units. Now I could be wrong on that one. Do you know? Mark

sjspeck:
There's a few HC1's on eBay also. Around $12-1300 or less if you want to bid. I shoot an HC1 and just recently looked at the HC3 in a store so here's my random thoughts:

The fixed viewfinder on the HC3 might be problematic w/o an external monitor depending on your housing back. And nobody's selling an HD monitor yet except Gates.

The top-loading feature on the HC3 is a good idea. I get tired of having to remove my camera from the mounting plate to change tapes.

I noticed they dropped the tele-macro and expanded focus buttons. They're useful for macro work. Amphibico(and others) provide a manual control for them on their HC1 housing.

Stills are up in resolution, 4MP vs. 2.8 for mine. But I'm not sure how the flash on the front of the lens barrel is going to work, I'm thinking there will be some reflection off the front port of some housings. Pure speculation on my part though.

There's no external mic jack on the HC3 so forget using it with an external u/w microphone.

hth,

Besides the Gates housing, if I try to add a monitor at back of Top Dawg what kind of detail about the spec (of the monitor) shall I look for?

Is this http://www.mediasub.com/Video_e.htm going to work as well?
Also, about the Gates, would it have enough room for me to add a regular wide angle within the housing?

alo100:
Besides the Gates housing, if I try to add a monitor at back of Top Dawg what kind of detail about the spec (of the monitor) shall I look for?

Is this http://www.mediasub.com/Video_e.htm going to work as well?
Also, about the Gates, would it have enough room for me to add a regular wide angle within the housing?

I thought the Top Dawg by default has just an optional (i.e. more $$$) 4:3 LCD which, depending on how it works could be a pain.

I have the PC-350 in mako housing, but shoot in 16:9 mode. The LCD does not letterbox, so I am actually capturing outside the sides of the LCD in 16:9 mode. This means I pretty often get my buddies fins/heads in frame even though they do not show on the LCD.

This is a good benefit of the BluefinHD/FX1 setup as you can see the cameras native LCD which is 16:9

If the LCD does letterbox, then you will see the whole frame but the display might be smaller.

Maybe there are 3rd party LCD's that work?

limeyx:
The LCD does not letterbox, so I am actually capturing outside the sides of the LCD in 16:9 mode. This means I pretty often get my buddies fins/heads in frame even though they do not show on the LCD.

One reason I prefer diving solo when I'm videotaping (which is all the time)... unless of course it is my lovely dive buddy's neoprene clad legs I want in the picture!

drbill:
One reason I prefer diving solo when I'm videotaping (which is all the time)... unless of course it is my lovely dive buddy's neoprene clad legs I want in the picture!

Heh, I definitely wont go as far as trying to justify solo diving, but I do know what you mean!

I am actually partially considering selling my SD camera and housing, and getting the TopDawg and HC5/7 -- I think I could almost do it for no cost to me.

Only problem is the TopDawg would have no monitor -- not sure how practical that is, and it's only really rated to 150 I think, although I am suspecting you've had yours deeper.

limeyx:
I am actually partially considering selling my SD camera and housing, and getting the TopDawg and HC5/7 -- I think I could almost do it for no cost to me.

Only problem is the TopDawg would have no monitor -- not sure how practical that is, and it's only really rated to 150 I think, although I am suspecting you've had yours deeper.

TopDawg offers the monitor back as I'm sure you know. I wonder how well it works with the HD output of the HC5/7's?

If I told you how deep, I'd have to kill you! Seriously, no problems diving with mine to 200' (my basement depth on air).

alo100:

a wide angle lens will not fit inside the Gates housing. The ports used for the housing are very precise and there is very little room between the front of the camera and the back of the port. Normally just enough room for the flip-in color filter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom