Need some advice with sizing for BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all im looking at getting the Scubapro hydros but was unsure if I should go a size up from medium and get the large. Im 5'9 150lbs, 33 waist.

Medium side for this BC says weight: 143-187LBS, Hight: 5'7"-6'0" waist: 28-45in
Large size : Weight 176-242lbs. Hight: 5'10"-6'2" Waist: 30-50in

I will be doing mostly warm water diving, but will also be doing cold water with 5-7mill wetsuit and drysuit once certified for dry.

Should I go up to a large or stick with medium ?

Thanks for the help!!

Agreed. I had large and I am 5'9" and 185
Should I be the first to mention BP/W for him? He can get one complete aluminum set up and one complete SS set up for less than the hydros

Agreed. I had large and I am 5'9" and 185
Should I be the first to mention BP/W for him? He can get one complete aluminum set up and one complete SS set up for less than the hydros
Thank you, and I’m going to do some research into the BP/W before I get this

Thank you, and I’m going to do some research into the BP/W before I get this
I have an article on BPW's you may find useful. Just need an email to send it to. too big to post here. It's 11 pages.
The thing is with people who appear to fall between sizes on charts for BC's, having a BC that is sized to fit you and is pretty much infinitely adjustable for you as your exposure needs change works very well. And it's often less expensive as well as holding it's value down the line. A BC you paid $600 for last year and dived for a season is worth maybe $200 to someone. A BPW you paid $400 for is likely to bring $300 or more.
Also, people of certain shapes benefit greatly from a fixed harness with a crotch strap that keeps the BC from shifting around and riding up on you. And it fits the same way every time. When you go to a drysuit from a wetsuit or vice versa, you make a 2 minute adjustment and you're done until the next change. No pulling and tugging straps hoping the d rings are where you need them.
Adjust the D rings on a BPW when you adjust the harness and they are where you need them. Not where some engineer (some who seem to have never been in the water looking at the placement of things) decides where they should be or how many to have.

I have an article on BPW's you may find useful. Just need an email to send it to. too big to post here. It's 11 pages.
The thing is with people who appear to fall between sizes on charts for BC's, having a BC that is sized to fit you and is pretty much infinitely adjustable for you as your exposure needs change works very well. And it's often less expensive as well as holding it's value down the line. A BC you paid $600 for last year and dived for a season is worth maybe $200 to someone. A BPW you paid $400 for is likely to bring $300 or more.
Also, people of certain shapes benefit greatly from a fixed harness with a crotch strap that keeps the BC from shifting around and riding up on you. And it fits the same way every time. When you go to a drysuit from a wetsuit or vice versa, you make a 2 minute adjustment and you're done until the next change. No pulling and tugging straps hoping the d rings are where you need them.
Adjust the D rings on a BPW when you adjust the harness and they are where you need them. Not where some engineer (some who seem to have never been in the water looking at the placement of things) decides where they should be or how many to have.
Jim, Thank you very much I would love to see that article, I will send you a private message with the email. and those are all great points about the bp/w, they seem much more practical and look better too. Thank you, safe diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom