Need some advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a beginner diver I still remember very clearly my first experience in open water.

On my first open-water dive, I was frightened to descent, and ended up returning onto the boat. Talking the incident over with my instructor, she explained what the problem was, with great accuracy. The sea was a little rough, and I stayed at the surface close to the boat a little too long, and bobbing back and forth made me feel helpless, just long enough to panic.

The solution to this was to try to descend as soon as possible after hitting the water. Once under, I felt in control, just like during the pool classes. Then it was just a matter of visualizing the exercises before doing them. Visualizing the steps while still on the boat works great.

After a few dive trips, I found that pre-dive mental visualization and descending asap really melts away the little bit of anxiety which is normal after a few months out of the water.

you should be OK if you know your skills--only you & your instructor know for sure.....relax & have fun &......good luck....

If you're comfortable doing your skills in a 10' swimming pool, you'll be fine at the checkout dives in the Springs (a very nice place to do your dives). Many people are a bit nervous of their upcoming checkout dives - you're not alone!

If you get a chance to slip in the pool for a few times before you go for your checkout dives, go to the bottom and imagine that you're 30 feet deep (or 40, 60, or 80 feet) instead of 10. As long as you can do your skills comfortably without having to surface, you'll be fine. Likewise, when you're on your dives, just focus on the task at hand, and don't worry about where you are or how deep you are - just focus on the skill and the steps to do it. Once certified, you'll be using those skills at a variety of depths and environments.

It sounds like your instructor has done a good job training you, and you've done a good job learning the skills in the pool. Don't over-think it and you'll have a great time on your dives.

Back
Top Bottom