Need some direction on what to do now that I have GoPro Dive Video-Post Production

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sullivan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm not the most tech savvy guy so I could really use a couple of bullet points on how I proceed with my GoPro Hero2 pictures and Video. I just got back from Bonaire and I have a bunch of nice videos/pictures taken with the Hero2/Blurfix/URpro Cyan filter. I read a bunch before I shot the pics and sure enough, the colors are off. I'd like to be able to combine videos, color correct things and, if possible, cut out poor parts of several videos.

Can I do the above with free software? If not, what is recommended on the cheap side; must be easy to use.

Do I use the GoPro Cineform software before using a third party app?

What are the steps that you employ to take raw video/pictures and get into final format.

Gopro Cineform is actually quite limited in what it can do. Cineform has a 2 way process.

Process 1=import.

This feature let's you import .mp4 files and output them in native format (ie in advanced options you can keep it native fps). It does let you clip the file but its weird because if you need to do more than 1 clip it won't let you do it. You can, however clip then go back to original file, clip again and again and again but you need to be clipping the original not the output file as that is .mov or .avi

Process 2=post process.

This feature let's you combine 2 separate gopro video files and make them 3d (for 3d setup). It also allows you to twiddle with a few basic other settings including the hue.

I would strongly advise that you invest into a video editing software. Most go for $40-$150. Trust me you do not need 93489384394893483 video doo dads. All you need is ability to clip, splice, transition, speed up, slow down... the basic things.

I have tried over the years:

Nero Ultimate
Ulead
Quicktime Pro

and for past few years I have been using Corel Videostudio Pro X4

Typically you ALWAYS want to make backups of backups of backups. Never erase original until you are absolutely sure.

My folder structure is as follows:

Project_Name
RAW_Video
Edits_1
Edits_2
Edits_3
Final

Typically you take raw files and make a rough edit. Some people do all tweaks in one step. I personally edit my videos over few weeks so I can't remember what I did and why. I know that everything in Edits_1 is newer than RAW and Edits_2 is newer than Edits_1.

I also maintain same file name structure.

Project_Name
RAW_Video
Filename.mp4
Edits_1
Filename_Edit1.mov (This is where I do first rough cut +2 seconds on each side of clips)
Edits_2
Filename_Edit2.mov (This is where I make a definite clip and often splice files if necessary)
Edits_3
Filename_Edit3.mov (This is where I make contrast, brightness, tint etc)
Final
Dive_Trip_Name.mov (This is where I take all edited clips and put them into one file to produce final video)
Dive_Trip_Name_Backup.mov (I always make 3 backups on my hard drive, portable hard drives)

If I feel anything needs to be retained for future use then I save it in my folder of all cool things scuba (ie turtles folder, angles folder etc).

After everything is said and done I delete RAW, Edits_1 through Edits_3 and end up with just the final file.

Thanks Yarik; good points about naming structure-organization is my friend.

I'll look at some of those sw packages you recommend.

The Hero shoots in .mp4 format. So whatever editor you buy should be able to deal with that format w/o having to convert the clips first. (it's just easier...)
Otherwise, that's where you might use the Cineform program since:
Convert GoPro H.264 MP4s into editor friendly CineForm AVI or MOV files

I just took a quick look at the free Cineform program and it's really limited in editing ability. Besides the suggestions above, two I'd look at are the latest Pinnacle Studio or Adobe Premiere Elements. Both have a timeline based format so you can import your clips - clip (edit) them, add transitions and music and export it all to a saved file in any number of web or DVD-based formats - even Blu-Ray if desired. (and you have the hardware) Premiere Elements has menu driven options to make things easier. Sony's Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is what I use but it can be a little daunting at first.

Check around on the websites - I think all 3 have a free downloadable trial version.

Video editing software - Pinnacle Studio - The #1 selling digital video editing software
Edit video | Adobe Premiere Elements 11
Movie Studio Platinum 12 Overview

I assume you're working on a PC but if you have a Mac, IMovie does it all as well.

I forgot to mention one thing. diversteve just jolted my memory.

Whenever you import/export or convert between file formats you lose video quality.

.mp4 and .mov are size intensive but tend to retain video quality. You need to be absolutely sure that video program you are buying will work with .mp4 and .mov by DEFAULT. Reason why I switched from Nero Ultimate is because it required me to convert .mov (default of my Bonica and my Sony and Kodak cameras) into another format always sacrificing the quality.

I suggested Corel but there are plenty other packages out there capable with working with files native to gopro.

Audio codecs, video codecs, export formats... they all seem very complicated but once you get to work with all that stuff it will be second nature.

Cineform studio isn't really meant to be used for editing even though you can cut up clips in it, its main purpose is to convert the MP4 file to Cineform AVI. This then allows you to adjust image settings withing cineform using non destructive metadata. What this means is that any changes you make within cineform at stage 2, will automatically effect the playback of the file but not require any rendering. You can then at any point open the AVI file in cineform and make further changes or start from scratch again to this even once you have started using the file inside your editing software. This will then be linked to the file inside your editing software and be updated as soon as any changes are made within cineform.

If going the cineform route then once you convert the file just use this file in your editing program and dont encode back to MP4 until you have done your final edit. There is also no need to use cineform to create the MP4 file just use your video editing software to do the rendering as it will give you much more control over the final encoding. If you go into cineform make changes and then export from there to MP4 you will be losing quality but by converting from MP4 to cineform AVI you wont be losing any quality and your editing software will work better most likely work faster with this file then it does with the regular MP4.

This is mostly just for when using protune as it does need grading but you may also want to try a regular recording in it if you want to fix any wb issues caused by the auto wb of the camera.

Editing software wise its probably best to download the free trials off a few different options and see which you like best. I use Adobe Premiere pro but this is most likely more then your willing to pay and a good alternative much more reasonably priced is Sony Vegas studio.

Cineform is a great simple program for basic stuff like sorting the clips down to those you want to keep and conforming the speed for slow motion stuff. But as some other have already mentioned, the less you can alter the original by converting to other formats the better as with each stage you will lose some quality, though depending on the codec may not be noticeable for most viewers. This site has all the latest and greatest editing packages for PC. I know several total novice video editors who now use with great success Power Director. Its very affordable with plenty of features and will import GoPro MP4 format files straight in without the need to convert. Its also very easy to learn and will get you started with plenty of output options including exporting straight to your YouTube channel. Video Editing Software Review 2013 | Best Video Editor Software | Video Editing - TopTenREVIEWS

Cineform is a great simple program for basic stuff like sorting the clips down to those you want to keep and conforming the speed for slow motion stuff. But as some other have already mentioned

People shouldnt really be thinking of cineform in terms of it being an editing software, it does have basic functions tacked on but its main purpose is for grading and 3D adjustments. There is no loss in quality converting from GoPro MP4 to Cineform AVI but there is when converting back to MP4 and so avoid re encoding as much as possible. I either work directly with the GoPro MP4 file in my premiere sequence or the Cineform AVI, I will then only encode out of premiere once when my edit is finished and this should give you the best end results as long as your encode settings are ok.

Like I said in the above post try avoid exporting to MP4 via cineform, and if using it as part of your workflow use the AVI in your editor if using the cineform software for colour work which will be much more advanced then what comes with most mid to low end editing packages. Even premiere pro I dont think can match up to what cineform can do in this respect and why I have started to use it more with the hero3 footage, its much faster then using magic bullet plugins that I also use but both give much more control then the stock functions inside premiere pro so I wouldn't expect any other stock editing software to be much better in terms of colouring without 3rd party plugins.

That list of editing apps is interesting but I am sceptical of their number one pic especially as they also have 3 adds for that software on the same page as the review.

I can understand one might be skeptical about a top ten review with the No 1 selection al so being on a banner ad, but I actually suggested Power Director from 3 first hand experiences of mates who have no previous knowledge of video editing software who any idea on how to use them. Unfortunately this involved me having to first work it out and then show them. As a Mac owner using Final Cut and no previous experience myself with P.D. I found the software quite intuitive, and I guess as an experienced editor this made it a lot easier for me. All 3 of my mates are now good to very good at producing their own home movies. Anyway I thought it might be a starting point for you to see the top ten current editing packages. They are lined up spec for spec, feature for feature and regardless of what the reviewers result is for No 1 is, the page lets the viewer to easily make their own mind up as long as you understand what all the guff means :)

People shouldnt really be thinking of cineform in terms of it being an editing software, it does have basic functions tacked on but its main purpose is for grading and 3D adjustments. There is no loss in quality converting from GoPro MP4 to Cineform AVI but there is when converting back to MP4 and so avoid re encoding as much as possible. I either work directly with the GoPro MP4 file in my premiere sequence or the Cineform AVI, I will then only encode out of premiere once when my edit is finished and this should give you the best end results as long as your encode settings are ok.

Like I said in the above post try avoid exporting to MP4 via cineform, and if using it as part of your workflow use the AVI in your editor if using the cineform software for colour work which will be much more advanced then what comes with most mid to low end editing packages. Even premiere pro I dont think can match up to what cineform can do in this respect and why I have started to use it more with the hero3 footage, its much faster then using magic bullet plugins that I also use but both give much more control then the stock functions inside premiere pro so I wouldn't expect any other stock editing software to be much better in terms of colouring without 3rd party plugins.

That list of editing apps is interesting but I am sceptical of their number one pic especially as they also have 3 adds for that software on the same page as the review.

Marty - If I understand your statement above correctly you are suggesting to convert the MP4 to AVI in cineform and do the grading there. Then import that AVI file in your editing program to avoid loss in quality. My only question is how to save the AVI file in cineform. I can convert to AVI then color grade in cineform then the only option it seems to give me to save my changes is to export to MP4. What am I missin?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom