Need some direction on what to do now that I have GoPro Dive Video-Post Production

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty - If I understand your statement above correctly you are suggesting to convert the MP4 to AVI in cineform and do the grading there. Then import that AVI file in your editing program to avoid loss in quality. My only question is how to save the AVI file in cineform. I can convert to AVI then color grade in cineform then the only option it seems to give me to save my changes is to export to MP4. What am I missin?

You don't need to save it - once you've converted to AVI then any changes you make to the AVI using Cineform, are saved as metadata without actually modifying the file. That's why you can then open up the AVI in your editor and make further changes (in cineform) on the fly, and have them immediately reflected in your clip in the editor (you may need to delete the low res shadow file if you tell your editor to make one in order to speed up processing HD files, as it will be working of that instead of the AVI). If you've stuffed up the colours etc you can reset all in cineform and start again, all without saving or making any changes to the actual AVI.

This is the beauty of using it. Don't worry it took me a bit of reading (of Marty's posts mainly - thanks man) to get my head around it. My editor had no problem working with the MP4 files which is what I'd been doing up till now so the added conversion step seemed like a bit of a waste to me. I'm still waiting on my H3 to arrive to really put it to work on some PT/RawWB footage but it is the way to go if you want to put the time and effort into it.

The only downside is that it takes a long time to convert the files (overnight for a whole trips worth I'm imagining) and thats if it doesn't stall halfway through a clip. And you need plenty of storage space for the AVI's!

---------- Post added February 18th, 2013 at 07:57 AM ----------

Just to add...

Once you have your AVI's, you can open up Cineform at any time and go "Import (already) converted clips". You can remove them from the list, or hit the + sign to re-add others. There's no further converting or anything done to the clip, it just loads it back into Cineform and remembers the colour changes you had made to the clip. The metadata must be stored somewhere (haven't bothered to look where) but thats all you need to do. No saving. Gotta love non-destructive editing!

Here too is a very worthwhile to watch tutorial... GoPro User Forum ? View topic - Getting Started with CineForm Studio - Advanced

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom