Need the low down on Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

czervos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there!
My family and I are headed out to the islands next month. We've been to Maui many times before, but this time we're going to Kauai for a few days before heading over to Maui. We're staying up north by Hanalei Bay but I've heard that the better diving is down south- true? I've heard of Seasport Divers in Poipu. Anybody else I should look at? I'm fairly experienced diver and don't have a problem with advanced dives, but usually like to start off trips with a shore dive or something simple. Any recommendations would be appreciated. We'll be on Kauai March 19-22.

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

There is a nice shore dive about 10 minutes from SeaSport's dive shop... They call it a boat landing, But it is really where they dragged whales ashore... Nice dive and a lot to see..

jim...

I've been once. I prefer shore diving, and did shore dives at Koloa Landing in the south and at Tunnels in the north (right by Hanalei). I enjoyed them both, but if I had to pick one, it would be Tunnels. Incredibly beautiful scenery and fascinating dives. In just 2 dives at Tunnels, I saw Spanish Dancers, Leaf Scorpionfish, Dragon Morays, and more. I did a couple normal boat dives (Turtle Bluffs, Sheraton Caverns) which were good too. And then I did the Ni'ihau excursion, which was mind-blowingly great. Got to spend an hour with the critically endangered Hawaiian Monk Seal, plus sharks and awesome formations. I got super seasick on the ride back, but it was worth it. The Ni'ihau trips are limited by time of year, though, and I think March is a little too early. I used Fathom Five Divers and had no complaints - I would use them again.

Here's some pics to get you primed: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2Y6afz

I've been once. I prefer shore diving, and did shore dives at Koloa Landing in the south and at Tunnels in the north (right by Hanalei). I enjoyed them both, but if I had to pick one, it would be Tunnels. Incredibly beautiful scenery and fascinating dives. In just 2 dives at Tunnels, I saw Spanish Dancers, Leaf Scorpionfish, Dragon Morays, and more. I did a couple normal boat dives (Turtle Bluffs, Sheraton Caverns) which were good too. And then I did the Ni'ihau excursion, which was mind-blowingly great. Got to spend an hour with the critically endangered Hawaiian Monk Seal, plus sharks and awesome formations. I got super seasick on the ride back, but it was worth it. The Ni'ihau trips are limited by time of year, though, and I think March is a little too early. I used Fathom Five Divers and had no complaints - I would use them again.

Here's some pics to get you primed: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2Y6afz
I'm hardly a Kauai expert, but March for Tunnels is very 'sporty'. You're very likely to get big surf
Ha'Ena Bay (Cannons/Tunnels) Surf and Swell Size and Direction
You're likely to find shore dives to the south (Poipu Beach) to have poor visibility that time of the year too. . .

The west side of the island is more sheltered from the prevailing winds in March , boat dives out of Port Allen (Bubbles Below) or Waimea (Kohala Divers) may be your best bets

Driving from Hanalei to either Port Allen or Waimea? Hehehe. That's why I like staying in Lihue. Being in between the North and South coasts makes the drive to either of those very bearable.

Actually, it is not too bad. 1 hour and 26 minutest plus you get to see the whole island. Bring any nondivers and let them explore while you are out. Waimea is the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, Hanapepe is a neat little town near Port Allen, and there is always the road to Poipu.

Being on the N side of the island is "sub optimal" for diving. We inherited a time share up there, so that's where we stay.

I've done Tunnels when the weather is good (late spring, early summer?) and it's a great shore dive, but I've also been there in the fall when the waves are 15' - no diving then!

I always block out 1-2 days to do the drive down to Poipu for diving and back north for the night. While I'm on the boat the non divers can go snorkeling in the Poipu area, drive to Wamea, or to the shopping districts.

Work with one one of the local ops - I've gone with Fathom Five and always had great diving, but I've heard that most of the ops there are pretty good.

I actually enjoyed making day trips from Lihue out to a different beach each day going all the way the top of Waimea Canyon and in between and on to Tunnels and the end of the road at Ke'e on the other side. That was pre-OW so all snorkeling but I will be back there August 14 so I follow these threads closely.

Aloha,

There will be plenty of options for you though you'll find yourself coming south to Poipu or even a little further west. This time of year the surf on the north shore is VERY large and makes Tunnels a dangerous spot to dive. The shore dive down south is "Koloa Landing." It is a fantastic spot to dive with a maximum depth of 45 feet which makes for really long enjoyable dives. It's normally protected from wind and currents and this time of year surf should not be an issue. It has been loaded (as usual) with incredible critters and you are likely to see Frogfish, Devil Scorpion fish, Leaf Scorpions, lots of moray eels, octopus, numerous endemic fish species, and countless turtles. You can do several dives there as well without covering the same grounds as it is a large site.

Depending on the waking habits of you and your crew the shore dive is every bit as good in the afternoon so a later start is not an issue. If you are going to go on a PM boat the winds are usually up a bit and that "can" limit the sites that you go to.

If I can help set up anything for you feel free to send a PM here and I can give you specific suggestions or help you out with any arrangements to make sure your dive experience here is fantastic.

Have a fantastic day
A

Aloha!! I've been diving Tunnels on the north for over 27 years. I've been able to dive there in March but some years not until May. What limits the diving there this time of year is the surf. It varies year to year so hard to plan this far out. Tunnels is a topography dive...over 20 swim through. You dive in and out of the reef. Koloa Landing is totally different. Because you are diving above the reef you tend to see more fish. There are over 15 dive sites off the boats on the south side. The wind can pick up in the afternoon which makes the surface choppy but the water below is as beautiful as in the morning.

I prefer Fathom Five, both for diving around Poipu, either by boat or at Koloa Landing, or at Tunnels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom