Need Thoughts/Opinions on Potential Post-Dive Illness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE ....Just to update those that were kind enough to respond ( and perhaps the lurkers)...the ER did a full Neuro work up to rule out stroke, etc, etc. Everything came out normal.....so she was invited to take a "dive" in the Chamber. They took her to 60' and 5 hours later she emerged from the chamber. Doc say that they cannot be sure if it was DCI because of ambiguity in symptoms. For example...Evidence of skin bubblying? Yes, BUT it was in a small area where she had also had some sunburn. Evidence of Rash? Yes, but after taking a benedryl it went away. Vertigo and Dizziness? Yes, but was never checked by an ENT to rule out ear issues. Ringing in ear? yes, but again....no ENT. Now she was given a balance test prior to going in chamber and could not perform without falling over. This morning she could do it. She says she is still " a little woozy" but nothing like prior to decompression.

If I had to bet $ 5.00, I would say more likely than not she got a minor audiovestibular DCI hit. I think back to the ascent and while I was able to get her attention and slow her down....she did cover approximately 15' in about 3-4 secs. Even after I communicated with her to slow down, she never really slowed to 1' per second. Perhaps a combination of inexpereince as well as being ready to get out of water due to sea-sickness.

I feel bad about this incident because 1) I got her into diving, and 2) While we laid out a real good dive plan and followed it to the letter, I think I forgot to cover with her proper ascent on the line. Very odd ommission for me because I go up a line like a 90yr old man moving through a cafeteria line. Fortunately, no bad result and she is a trooper and says this will not turn her off to diving.

I will have DAN card before she takes her next shower and appreciate everyone letting me know that DAN would asist me as a memeber, even though the distressed diver was not a DAN member.

Thank you for updating us, Kicker. I hope that your wife is feeling better.

Vertigo and Dizziness? Yes, but was never checked by an ENT to rule out ear issues. Ringing in ear? yes, but again....no ENT.

Will your wife be seeing an ENT? Please let us know what the Ear Doc says.

What was her dive profile?

Yes, DAN is a super organization. When you're looking for good organizations to donate to, I recommend DAN.

First dive was the Black Bart. 25 min dive at max depth of 75'. Surface interval of 67 minutes. Threw up several times on SA. Second dive was the Navy Hovercraft. Similar dive to the first...75 feet but she managed air better so we were down about 35 minutes. She got sick at about 30 minutes into the dive at 68 feet and threw up into her regulator....gave me the thumbs up so we surfaced.

Does anything in the above give concern to any of you guys who "are in the know".

Thanks.

I don't know these sites but it sounds like typical wreck, so approximating them as square profiles to 70' (i know this is an abuse of the tables, im trying to guess what your computer rbt would be when your fiancee thumbed the dive) puts you into deco after 28 min on the second dive. So minor DCS is certainly plausible, and it sounds like your predive planning was a contributing factor.

Her computer never put her in Deco. I was all over that...especially because I wanted to see the difference between her computer and mine since I was on Nitrox and we were both diving the exact same computer. Yes, I acknowledged above that I failed to cover with her how to ascend. generally that would not have been part of my dive plan because I usually dive with more expreinced divers and by the time we get to the line with out buddy.....well we know how to go up. However, I should have covered this in the dive plan.

However, I am beginning to doubt DCI now. She is still woozy and said she alsmost fainted in Wal-Mart today. ENT appointment is Tuesday. Now I am thinking Barotrauma of inner ear. Really hoping it isn't serious and something ends her diving.

Will keep you guys posted.

She was sea-sick prior to getting into the water and actually threw up several times. She dove air. First dive was the Black Bart. 25 min dive at max depth of 75'. Surface interval of 67 minutes. Threw up several times on SA. Second dive was the Navy Hovercraft. Similar dive to the first...75 feet but she managed air better so we were down about 35 minutes. She got sick at about 30 minutes into the dive at 68 feet and threw up into her regulator....gave me the thumbs up so we surfaced.

Kicker, my wife is also susceptible to sea sick and threw up few times when the sea was choppy above water, or surge underwater. the sea sick pills help a lot, but when we were in LOB, she cannot stand the sea sick and abondoned the trip after the 1st night. even that 1 night made her feel very sick for quite a few days on land (nothing to do with diving). we do not know whether the symptoms were similar to you fiance (nausea and dizzy for sure), but it was probably not a good idea to continue diving when she already felt unfit.

It's just my thought, hope your fiance can recover soon.

willwx....see, that is what I would think. But I never get sea-sick so I do not know....but have been out on many boats where divers where chumming the water and everyone tells them " Get in the water....you will feel better." I guess being in the water does limit the movements one feels but like you....it just seems to me that if I was yakking up last night's Olive Garden the last thing I would want to do is dive.

Her computer never put her in Deco.

What computer were you using? How old is the computer?

Did the computer have a function allowing for variable settings? That is, can you adjust the computer for "conservative" or "less conservative"? If you're not sure, do you still have the Owners Manual?

She is still woozy and said she alsmost fainted in Wal-Mart today. ENT appointment is Tuesday. Now I am thinking Barotrauma of inner ear.

Please get her back to a doctor straight away.

openmindOW....We were both using Mare Puck. These were purchased about 18 months ago.....and yes, they do allow for variable settings and both are set at the most conservative setting. ENT appt is tomorrow

We were both using Mare Puck. These were purchased about 18 months ago.....and yes, they do allow for variable settings and both are set at the most conservative setting.

Thank you, Kicker.

Does anyone know anyting about how conservative the Mares Puck is?

ENT appt is tomorrow

That is very good to hear. I hope that your fiance gets back to normal very soon.

"I think back to the ascent and while I was able to get her attention and slow her down....she did cover approximately 15' in about 3-4 secs. Even after I communicated with her to slow down, she never really slowed to 1' per second."

Could this have been a case of " alternobaric vertigo is dizziness resulting from unequal pressures being exerted between the ears due to one Eustachian tube being less patent than the other"

I have had this happen to me on ascents and it stayed with tme for at least 30 min ues after a dive. I had a very bad experience with it while driving after an hour dive in the Florida caves. My ears were squeeking and I popped my ears and my head went into a spin and I got sick to my stomach and had to rest for 30 minutes before I could drive again. It happened to me again in the evening , and I ended up vomiting my dinner. This condition has occured to me under water and I have learned to slow my ascents and even stop & descend a couple of feet to get rid of the difference in pressure. I have gone through this condition with diving doctors and it is a common occurence with jet fighter pilots too. I am aware of it so I am careful too watch my sympthoms while in the water. It only started when I started using a C-pap machine. I do not know if that is the cause, but I cannot sleep without using a C-pap machine. Sleep is a priority over diving :)

Jim

Back
Top Bottom