Need to Upgrade Current P&S (Sony DSC-T200)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shallingsam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I really enjoy taking pictures while on my dive trips, but would really like to upgrade from my current setup. It takes great macro with the marine pack on, but has a tendancy to take blurry photos and only is 8mp. I have been looking at a few P&S on that market that are also waterproof for snorkeling or just being in the elements. I think going to DLSR is out of my price range. I also currently own an Nex-5N, I'd like to get a nice housing for it where I can use the manual zoom, but I think the Nauticam case at $900+ is out of my price range.
I was looking at the following:
Olympus TG830 + Olympus housing = $450
Panasonic Lumix TS5 + Ikelite housing = $560
Sony RX-100 + Ikelite housing = $1000

Any suggestions? I like the idea of waterproof cameras outside of the housing so if I'm outdoors I don't have to worry about being caught in the rain or dropping it in a river while hiking or something. I'd like to upgrade before I possibly go out to Thailand this December.

There is (was?) a great deal on the Olympus E-PM1, a 4/3s format camera. $499 for the camera and housing from a number of dealers. Probably a bit big for snorkelling, but great for diving. In upgrading from a point 'n shoot to a similar Olympus setup, I really noticed and appreciated the decrease in shutter lag.

James

As James mentioned the Oly PM1 is a incredible deal and we are starting to come to the end of their availability. But it is an interchangeable lens camera and while you have excellent quality it is a bigger "commitment" than a compact. You will need to buy other lenses and port/s eventually. For sure not something you would take hiking. If small is the key factor your are on the right track with the Sony RX100/Ikelite, I would skip the Panasonic, and the TG830 is a good deal if you can find it but Olympus really improved the glass with the TG2 and it is good to 50ft without a housing. I would add the Canon S110/Ikelite in your mix. If you are going to shoot just natural light you may want to add a red filter to give your photos and videos more punch.

Links to Filters and more full systems.
Lenses & Filters :: Filters -
Systems
System Packages :: Value System Packages -

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into these. What sorts of attachments/lenses would I need for the Olympus emp1 to make a good versatile setup? I like some macro, but would also like a nice overall. How do strobes and focus lights differ? Do you need both? I like the idea of something smaller just because you can clip it to your bcd and forget about it if you're busy with other things. Does the flash work ok with the Olympus? My Sony does a good job if it's up close.

Flashes/Strobes vs. Focus/Video lights: Strobes are for still photography, the weakest strobe is about x10 stronger than the most powerful video light*. This helps freeze action and cover more area when shooting large subjects. Focus/video lights help the camera/lens see a subject when shooting stills so the camera fires faster resulting in fewer "fish butt" shots. Plus they can give you that nice HD video color.

Here is a FULLY DECKED out PM1 system. I show it because it has the lenses and ports most people end up buying of course it can be changed to fit a budget. As mentioned this is more a system for someone that photography has become a big part of why they dive and is probably a dry land hobby as well.
System Packages :: Ultimate System Packages :: Optical Ocean Olympus E-PM-1 & YS-D1 Ultimate Package -

Compact cameras can do amazing things when shooting natural light and using filters or using the on camera flash and shooting very small subjects, but they are limited. If you want to shoot anything bigger than a turtle and want that magazine cover color you need strobes.

Back
Top Bottom