Need yoke solution for Sherwood (7/8) tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MajorJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've looked around and seen some relevant info, but not really a definitive answer. I have a 1980's Sherwood Genesis HP steel 100 tank that has the smaller 7/8" tank thread and a 300 BAR (long thread) DIN valve. I love the tank and want to be able to use it with all my family's yoke style regs. Is there ANY way to do this. I'll buy new or used. It seems like I need either a 7/8 thread valve with a fixed yoke output or a 7/8' thread valve with a 200 Bar DIN output so I can use a yoke adatper insert. I can't find any suitable valve anywhere.

Does anybody have an advice, sources, or even just the part I need for sale, or is there just no way at all.

I've looked around and seen some relevant info, but not really a definitive answer. I have a 1980's Sherwood Genesis HP steel 100 tank that has the smaller 7/8" tank thread and a 300 BAR (long thread) DIN valve. I love the tank and want to be able to use it with all my family's yoke style regs. Is there ANY way to do this. I'll buy new or used. It seems like I need either a 7/8 thread valve with a fixed yoke output or a 7/8' thread valve with a 200 Bar DIN output so I can use a yoke adapter insert. I can't find any suitable valve anywhere.

Does anybody have an advice, sources, or even just the part I need for sale, or is there just no way at all.

Because this is a 3500 psi tank, it is against regulations to have an outlet below 300 bar DIN. If you do find an adapter-and there out there, usually set up for filling, make sure your regulator and yoke is compatible with the pressure.

see Aqua Din to Yoke Tank Filler Adapter (A101)

Thanks, Leadking.

I have that adapter for tank fills, but I don't think I'd want to dive with it. I'm looking for a solution I can dive with. With respect to the pressure. It is my understanding that the o-ring configuration in a yoke connection can go to 3442 PSI and that some yoke valves are marked that way. I'll happily give up that last 58 PSI so that all my tanks and regs can be mutally compatible

Yoke is just not meant to be on a 3500 PSI cylinder. That is why they shaved a few atmospheres of the rating to get down to 3442. Saying you won't go over 3500 won't change anything.

There are a few rogue valves out there that will let you get yoke on that cylinder but you are then skating on thin ice. The best bet may be to sell it and put the proceeds towards the 3442 (ie X-100) cylinder that is correct for your application.

Pete

Simple solution: convert your family's regs to DIN.

To convert all our regs and then our tanks to DIN would be more expensive than just tossing the Genesis tank and buying a new HP steel 100. Plus we dive on trips with our regs and need to use yokes there.

...There are a few rogue valves out there that will let you get yoke on that cylinder but you are then skating on thin ice. The best bet may be to sell it and put the proceeds towards the 3442 (ie X-100) cylinder that is correct for your application.

Pete

I may go the second route if I have no other option. Any hints on where I can investigate/acquire one of these rogue valves, ice thickness notwithstanding ?

sell your tanks to me. I'll buy them and I'm in Socal.

That is a better option than having 3500PSI of willie nillie hanging around at the back of your families heads.

If you have a modular valve on the tank, you can put a "200 bar" H valve on it and use that valve with a Yoke insert. Most DIN valves are actually rated for 4500psi whether they are "200 bar" or "300 bar". If you look here: OMS Valves & Manifolds http://www.OMSdive.com you will see the "200 bar" H valve even comes with a burst disk for 3500psi service pressure.

Many yoke regulators, even a few old double hose regulators have been rated for 3500psi to 4000psi service pressure.

Sherwood started selling yoke only valves rated for 4000psi and more back in the '70s.

Cousteau extensively used the yoke fitting at 5000psi.

Of course, at the higher pressures, you shouldn't use the cheap soft o-rings. Also the yoke valves that use the smaller o-rings will handle high pressure better than the larger fatter o-rings.

There is no regulation in the US preventing use of Yoke at 3500psi and above.

........but, I still prefer DIN............(preferably"200 bar" DIN )

If you have a modular valve on the tank, you can put a "200 bar" H valve on it and use that valve with a Yoke insert. Most DIN valves are actually rated for 4500psi whether they are "200 bar" or "300 bar". If you look here: OMS Valves & Manifolds http://www.OMSdive.com you will see the "200 bar" H valve even comes with a burst disk for 3500psi service pressure.

Many yoke regulators, even a few old double hose regulators have been rated for 3500psi to 4000psi service pressure.

Sherwood started selling yoke only valves rated for 4000psi and more back in the '70s.

Cousteau extensively used the yoke fitting at 5000psi.

Of course, at the higher pressures, you shouldn't use the cheap soft o-rings. Also the yoke valves that use the smaller o-rings will handle high pressure better than the larger fatter o-rings.

There is no regulation in the US preventing use of Yoke at 3500psi and above.

........but, I still prefer DIN............(preferably"200 bar" DIN )

Yes, ensure that you do use the best quality o rings when you are willy nillying your family members tanks.

Seriously, I'm in town until this weekend, I'll come pick it up.

Guys have you seen a din valve whitout a relief valve?? do they make valves like this???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom