Negative buoyancy line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmileMon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm not sure this is the right place, so feel free to move it to the right place.

I'm having a slight difficulty handling the neutral buoyancy lines, they are just suspended in water and it seems unsafe to me.

Does anyone know where I can find #24 or something close enough that will be negative in salt water?

Thank you!

Are you diving saltwater caves?

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying that your deployed line is floating? I'd think with it tied off, it would be pretty taut, or at least should be.

Maybe I am not getting what you are saying.

It has nothing to do with caves, I just thought the people here have more experience with lines than other groups in scubaboard.

Ok,

What are you trying to do with the line? That would probably help. Shoot bags? Tie up bodies? :)

I want to replace my safety reel's line, I use it from time to time for the dive float and I got entangled once when I didn't notice it was floating about when I was taking pictures.

Not sure there is a line like the one you are looking for.

But my opinion is that you should practice handling line and smb's/liftbags and always be aware of it. Substituting different line for line management issues is not a wise approach.

Regardless of the buoyancy characteristics...... 'Line is evil' (as one of my instructors says) and requires attention and correct handling. Even neg. buoyant line can entangle.......

The best thing for you to do is to maintain your line awareness, keep it taut and under control. Give it some TLC tension, lock off and clipped/clean

Clipped may not apply to you in your application but do keep it clean and away from things

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that you are heading in the wrong direction to solve this problem. If the line is getting slack, a negative line will hang down, inviting you to get tangled in it.

On the other hand, a positively bouyant line will float up, and (hopefully) stay out of the way. Maybe you should get one of those plastic "kite string winders" along with it's yellow floaty rope.

But then again, the very valid point has been made that this is really an issue of line awareness and control. It doesn't matter what kind of line it is if you keep it under control.

I echo the advice that's been given here already. It's all about line awareness. Keep it taut and you won't get entangled. However, if you really want to try #24 line, go to www.diveriteexpress.com. You can order a spool of line from them.

Thanks for all the advices.

Dive-aholic, the safety reel is from diveriteexpress shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom