Negligent LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeldive:
Well said Terry1 No lets advertise who the good shops are so that we can all benefit
I tend to try to not look like a commercial, but will make an exception because judging from the number of complaints on the board about bad service, publicizing the good places would seem to be a useful thing.

One of my customers (National Aquatic Service in Syracuse NY) is my favorite service facility. Before anybody complains about being biased because I do work for them, they've done all my service since before I became their webmaster, and before I did my DiveCon cert.

They're just a class act.

The service bench is clean and organized, they use real parts kits from the manufacturer, and every reg that leaves the shop gets tested on the flow bench with the results plotted on a graph that's given to the customer along with the old parts.

If it doesn't breathe right or leaks, it gets worked on until it does, or is found to be non-repairable. Nothing leaves the shop unless it's 100% or condemned.

The compressor gets regular maintenance and the quarterly air quality test is posted right by the counter where the tank drop-off/pickup is.

When my SmartCom was recalled, they gave me a free loaner (different model) while it was out for service. I didn't even have to ask.

The place is like FedEx. When you drop something off, there's no question that it will be handled properly, and that's just nice to find now and then. I only wish I could get that level of service for my car, which took a half-dozen trips to the dealer to get the "Check Engine" light turned off.

OK. I'm off my soap box now. :D

Terry

reeldive:
Don't know who is teaching this mis-information!! From the Sherwood maintenance manual for tank valves. "Tighten the tank valve into the tank to 40-50 ft. lbs. of torque. This torque will help prevent water and corrosion in the O-ring area."
My hand can't tighten to that!-- and besides-- my hand ain't calibrated
Not to hi jack the thread,but
I had a issue along those lines in the Keys.I had a tank viped before I left and filled with nitrox.Went thru the acceptance mix pressure etc.everything was where it should be after a week or 10 days in the shop.Got to the dock in the keys to unload and had 2 tanks one in each hand.One felt different.Put a reg on it and it was empty.same tank I just had filled and viped.Brushed the valve to move the spg to check again because I could nto believe it and the whole valve assembly moved.When I got home I called the shop and told them what happened.Took the tank back and while showing the guy behind the counter, I unscrewed the valve to show him and noticed the oring had be cut.
They did good by me I have to admit.Since I had to rent a tank,they took mine back and re did the vip and fill for free and gave me a nitrox card with 3 free fills on it.
All by calling and saying hey this is what happened.

The only times I have had trouble with regs is right after they are worked on. This is when you need to carefully check them before taking the plunge. Check connections, put the reg on a tank with air off and suck back on the second stages to check for leaks. Cut on air and breath off of it and listen for leaks. Make sure the purge does not stick, etc. I now service my own regs because I was dissatisfied by the service I received from my LDS. On one occasion they returned a Conshelf reg to me that had no exhaust valve installed. I got a lung full of water when I backrolled into the water. One time I opened up the box on a second stage and found it coated with silt after it had been "serviced". No work had been done to it. When I asked for my parts I got back a bag of o-rings and a LP seat from a different brand reg than I owned. That is when I got the manuals and some tools and worked on my own gear. Knock on wood, but I have never had a problem with a reg I have overhauled. I have seen a couple of shops screw over people real bad on servicing. I own dozens of regs and if I depended on those shops to "service" them I might as well just write them a blank check or give up diving completely. I also don't buy into the annual service mantra. If I don't use a reg much it may go years before I overhaul it. If one is getting a lot of use in nasty water I may go through it a couple times a year. And I only replace the part that is needed.

Lehmann108:
Also turned out both tank valves had only been hand tightened into the tanks.
I'm no expert on tank valves, but I don't understand how it could be discovered that the tank valves had been "hand tightened" and furthermore, I don't understand how it would make a difference.

The fact is that it's generally accepted procedures to hand-tighten the first-stage yokes, knowing that the pressure of the cylinder will form a tight seal, once the tank valve is openes. As we all know, it's nearly impossible to remove a first stage without purging the second stage line.

Considering the tank valve is under the same pressures as the first-stage yoke (once the tank valve is opened), it seems reasonable to assume that hand-tightening the tank valve is a perfectly reasonable action, as long as the cylinder is at pressure.

I'm no expert on this, but if somebody could explain to me why hand-tightening tank valves is a bad thing, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Wilton

Man this board goes crazy!

If we can just get back and analyze the original post, he said:

1. Something was "internally" wrong with the first stage
2. Two hoses were loose
3. Two tank valves were "hand tightened"

I'm still trying to figure out the forensics of this. I've seen a couple posts asking for the name of the LDS, but I'm still not satisfied with the statements that were made in the original posting, and I think we should focus on those and try to figure out what the real issue is.

Man this board goes crazy!

If we can just get back and analyze the original post, he said:

1. Something was "internally" wrong with the first stage
2. Two hoses were loose
3. Two tank valves were "hand tightened"

I'm still trying to figure out the forensics of this. I've seen a couple posts asking for the name of the LDS, but I'm still not satisfied with the statements that were made in the original posting, and I think we should focus on those and try to figure out what the real issue is.

I'll give the name of the LDS only after I've talked to the guy who had the problem and I find out how the shop made good and the explaination they have for the poor job. I want to be fair here.

Went out on a boat dive yesterday. One of the divers attached his regulator to his tank, opened the tank valve...huge hiss. Several o-rings later it becomes obvious that there is something wrong internally with his 1st stage. Two of the hoses from the 1st stage are also loose. Turns out he just picked-up the reg from his LDS after they serviced it. He was joking that it certainly worked before he gave it to them. Also turned out both tank valves had only been hand tightened into the tanks. Needless to say he's not going to use the LDS anymore. There are plenty to pick and choose from here in south Florida.

These stories are way too common - I have a similar one myself except that the regulator was actually serviced by the manufacturer! (Procean). Personally I think the best option is just to get some Apeks regulators (DS/DST + ATX) which are easy to service (not to mention excellent performers and great value for money) and do the servicing yourself.

These stories are way too common - I have a similar one myself except that the regulator was actually serviced by the manufacturer! (Procean). Personally I think the best option is just to get some Apeks regulators (DS/DST + ATX) which are easy to service (not to mention excellent performers and great value for money) and do the servicing yourself.

Are Apeks parts available on the open market in the Netherlands? For many regulators in the US, parts availability is a problem as most dive shops refuse to sell them.

Are Apeks parts available on the open market in the Netherlands? For many regulators in the US, parts availability is a problem as most dive shops refuse to sell them.
Yeah, you can get the parts kit at pretty much any dive shop with tech dive pretensions.

Last time I got service at my LDS they brought me to the back and had me breathe off both regs while it was hooked up to full pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom