Negligent LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lehmann108

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Went out on a boat dive yesterday. One of the divers attached his regulator to his tank, opened the tank valve...huge hiss. Several o-rings later it becomes obvious that there is something wrong internally with his 1st stage. Two of the hoses from the 1st stage are also loose. Turns out he just picked-up the reg from his LDS after they serviced it. He was joking that it certainly worked before he gave it to them. Also turned out both tank valves had only been hand tightened into the tanks. Needless to say he's not going to use the LDS anymore. There are plenty to pick and choose from here in south Florida.

Funny, I just serviced my two apeks 1st stages in 30 minutes last night without any training....while watching a movie....(any idiot with a spanner, allen set and IP can do it) how did he know the valve was only hand tightened? I would think the pressure would have locked it up completely...also, this leads me to another question....why are 1st stage seats designed to be so much more resilient to creasing from the cone than seconds...if they just made them with the same material my second stage performance would last a hec of a lot longer....

neglegence = lawsuit

FFMDiver:
Funny, I just serviced my two apeks 1st stages in 30 minutes last night without any training....while watching a movie....(any idiot with a spanner, allen set and IP can do it) how did he know the valve was only hand tightened? I would think the pressure would have locked it up completely...also, this leads me to another question....why are 1st stage seats designed to be so much more resilient to creasing from the cone than seconds...if they just made them with the same material my second stage performance would last a hec of a lot longer....
The 1st stage seats are usually made of teflon and have to stand up to the high pressure from the tank (3000psi) because of the lower presure (140psi or so) on the 2nd stage seat, the cone wouldn't seat well against the cone if it were made of the same dense material. Hence the softer seat.

He picked up his serviced regs without testing them at the LDS at the time. Whose negligence are we discussing?

DandyDon:
He picked up his serviced regs without testing them at the LDS at the time. Whose negligence are we discussing?

Yes, a smart diver will check out his gear before he dives it. But who feels it is necessary to make sure your lug nuts are tight after a professional tire or brake place does some work for you?

awap:
Yes, a smart diver will check out his gear before he dives it. But who feels it is necessary to make sure your lug nuts are tight after a professional tire or brake place does some work for you?
Well, I certainly want my wheels to stay on - had one fall off of an old work pickup once, at a slow speed - not fun. But I know that when a pro works on my wheels, he's going to use a power wrench, which is why we don't read about wheels falling off.

On the other hand, I have read about several regs being serviced, then having problems - I guess they don't use power wrenches.

Either way, I am going to drive my pickup or breath my reg as soon as I accept it.

DandyDon:
Well, I certainly want my wheels to stay on - had one fall off of an old work pickup once, at a slow speed - not fun. But I know that when a pro works on my wheels, he's going to use a power wrench, which is why we don't read about wheels falling off.

On the other hand, I have read about several regs being serviced, then having problems - I guess they don't use power wrenches.

Either way, I am going to drive my pickup or breath my reg as soon as I accept it.

Divers should understand that some LDSs are negligent in their regulator service. If they understand that and fail to check out their gear thoroughly after service then they are also negligent. If they fail to do even basic checks of their gear befor each dive, then they are again negligent.

I had a left real wheel on my pickup pass me one day while hauling home a load of firewood. Once it clears the roadway and is not going to hurt anyone, it really is pretty funny. I thought it was a U-joint mgoing out and hoped I could make it home. :rofl3:

I only had 4 wheels on this pickup, hauling cotton seed to feed cattle in the winter. My butt just fell onto the pavement. :(

Yeah, there seems to be two negligent parties in this story.

I assume you brought this to the attention of the LDS?

I don't generally dive my reg after service while at the LDS, but I do hook it up and breath off of it.

People make mistakes. In this case it's obvious that the reg was not bench tested. I would give my LDS a chance to explain however before condemning them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom