Nekton Bahamas - Cay Sal or NW itenerary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint:
which is best for seeing/diving with sharks?
First, take this with a grain of salt since it's been 10 years since I did the Cay Sal route. But I'd say Cay Sal is better overall for sharks. Although the wreck of the Hesperus on the Northern Bahamas route has a lot of sharks on it.

robint:
which is best for seeing/diving with dolphins?
I don't remember seeing any dolphins on the Cay Sal trip. But dolphins played around the boat both times I was on the Northern Bahamas trip. They try to let you snorkel with the dolphins on that itinerary. But wild animals being wild animals, it's pretty hit and miss. Both times I've done that trip we didn't get the chance to snorkel with the dolphins.

robint:
which is best variety of dive sites?
Both routes have some excellent sites. The Cay Sal route has a drift dive and they also dive some blue holes. I'd say the Cay Sal route also tends to be a little deeper.

The Northern Route has a couple of shallow wreck sites that are pretty cool. You can also go into shore on Grand Bahama and Bimini if you want.

You'll have a great trip either way. For me the next route is Cay Lobos next summer. That is I don't sneak off to Belize before that.

Hope that helps.
Luke

ScubaLuke:
First, take this with a grain of salt since it's been 10 years since I did the Cay Sal route. But I'd say Cay Sal is better overall for sharks. Although the wreck of the Hesperus on the Northern Bahamas route has a lot of sharks on it.
I don't remember seeing any dolphins on the Cay Sal trip. But dolphins played around the boat both times I was on the Northern Bahamas trip. They try to let you snorkel with the dolphins on that itinerary. But wild animals being wild animals, it's pretty hit and miss. Both times I've done that trip we didn't get the chance to snorkel with the dolphins.
Both routes have some excellent sites. The Cay Sal route has a drift dive and they also dive some blue holes. I'd say the Cay Sal route also tends to be a little deeper.
The Northern Route has a couple of shallow wreck sites that are pretty cool. You can also go into shore on Grand Bahama and Bimini if you want.
You'll have a great trip either way. For me the next route is Cay Lobos next summer. That is I don't sneak off to Belize before that.
Hope that helps.
Luke

thanks Luke! That's exactly the kind of information we are looking for. I am leaning towards the NW itenerary just because it seems to have more diversity but I wanted to hear that from others.
My hubby wants sharks more than anything though. Do you think the time of year makes a difference? We are looking at early June.

robint

The disclaimer first...I work for Nekton. I just returned from Cay Sal and at a location called Big Hole there should be more sharks than you can imagine. I had to holler at them to get out of my way as I jumped off the dive deck, they were so thick. I hung around the bottom of the boat for about 15 minutes and they stayed right with me. As I toured around Big Hole (at various depths) they would cruise by. What a rush. The Cay Sal itinerary is varied. The drift dive they do at Elbow Cay was a blast as well. As much as I love the NW itinerary, you have a much better chance to see lots of sharks at Cay Sal. Hope this helps. Pam]

robint:
Do you think the time of year makes a difference? We are looking at early June.
robint
I think early June is a good time to go. The water is warm by then and you shouldn't have a very big chance of a hurricane. But then again, all three time I went on the Northern Bahamas or Cay Sal trips it was July or August and we had good weather each time.
Luke

augustadivediva:
The disclaimer first...I work for Nekton. I just returned from Cay Sal and at a location called Big Hole there should be more sharks than you can imagine. I had to holler at them to get out of my way as I jumped off the dive deck, they were so thick. I hung around the bottom of the boat for about 15 minutes and they stayed right with me. As I toured around Big Hole (at various depths) they would cruise by. What a rush. The Cay Sal itinerary is varied. The drift dive they do at Elbow Cay was a blast as well. As much as I love the NW itinerary, you have a much better chance to see lots of sharks at Cay Sal. Hope this helps. Pam]

Hey pam,
Thanks for the info! That sounds like a fun dive! My hubby will want to do that.
Do you work on the boat usually or in the office for Nekton?

robint

augustadivediva:
I work in the office but go on the boats 4 weeks each year...it's a hard job but someone has to do it :D
I wish my company had those kinds of fringe benefits.
Luke

augustadivediva:
I work in the office but go on the boats 4 weeks each year...it's a hard job but someone has to do it :D

So Pam, do you think the NW or Cay Sal itenerary would be the best for a "first time" liveaboard experience? The sharks at Cay Sal sound exciting and worth doing, but this will be our first liveaboard - which would you tell me to book? We have done lots of Caribbean diving, but not the Bahamas.

robint:
which is best for seeing/diving with sharks?

which is best for seeing/diving with dolphins?

which is best variety of dive sites?

robint

I just returned from the Cay Sol Banks trip yesterday and can tell you that it was a wonderful trip. There is a site, Big Hole, where the boat "Pilot" feed the sharks and rattles a chain...they come running when they hear that chain. I was on the Roqual, so we went down and rattled the chain and sure enough they showed up...what a great dive. I will post photos soon.

Back
Top Bottom