Nekton Bahamas - Cay Sal or NW itenerary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you will love either one of them and after checking your profile, I'd say the diving would be comfortable for you on either of the itineraries. If you were a brand new diver, I would have suggested the NW itinerary because it tends to be more shallow...more what I call "sweet" diving. The NW itinerary is great for all levels...it has my favorite night dive in the whole world...the Sugar Wreck. It's just a matter of what kind of diving you want to do...they're equally varied. If you haven't already, go to the website and look at a description of both of the itineraries. Liveaboard diving will spoil you for anything else.

augustadivediva:
I think you will love either one of them and after checking your profile, I'd say the diving would be comfortable for you on either of the itineraries. If you were a brand new diver, I would have suggested the NW itinerary because it tends to be more shallow...more what I call "sweet" diving. The NW itinerary is great for all levels...it has my favorite night dive in the whole world...the Sugar Wreck. It's just a matter of what kind of diving you want to do...they're equally varied. If you haven't already, go to the website and look at a description of both of the itineraries. Liveaboard diving will spoil you for anything else.

Hello pam, remember me ,es mi Nick. I would have to go with the cay sal trip. i worked for nekton awhile ago. it is a great trip.

Caver95:
es mi Nick. I would have to go with the cay sal trip. i worked for nekton awhile ago. it is a great trip.

Hi'ya Nick!

Glad to hear you're still at it.

Went to Cay Sal on the Pilot in July. While the Pilot may not be the most luxurious live-a-baord, I thought it was perfect for my needs. Woke up to dolphins swimming along with us as we crusied along one morning and the shark dive did not dissapoint! (I still love seeing my mother's face as we showed her the video of me in the water with so many sharks swimming around).

While I would go back to Cay Sal, we are thinking of the NW itinerary for July 06, just because I have not been there yet.

(and a quick thank you to Pam who quelled my nervousness about my first live-a-board when we booked out July 05 trip)!

Good question. I too am thinking about a nekton trip but am torn between which one to go on. Cay sal bank, cay lobos, or the NW trip.

BTW Pam, can you score me a job with nekton so I can take advantage of the benefits as well?

jaydub:
Good question. I too am thinking about a nekton trip but am torn between which one to go on. Cay sal bank, cay lobos, or the NW trip.
Has anybody done Cay Lobos? I'd like to hear a little more about that route.

Luke

well, my plans for the Nekton Bahamas trip has been changed for now. Our LDS is going to Fiji in June and I need to go on that trip! So I am thinking that we will put off the Nekton until fall and do the Nekton Belize route. Any comments? Suggestions? How is the weather and water temps for November in Belize? If we don't do it then, we will try to do it early 2007. Gosh, that seems so far away! So many places I want to dive, so little money!!!!

robint

robint:
well, my plans for the Nekton Bahamas trip has been changed for now. Our LDS is going to Fiji in June and I need to go on that trip! So I am thinking that we will put off the Nekton until fall and do the Nekton Belize route. Any comments? Suggestions? How is the weather and water temps for November in Belize? If we don't do it then, we will try to do it early 2007. Gosh, that seems so far away! So many places I want to dive, so little money!!!!

robint
Well as much as I like the Nekton, the one trip I did to Fiji is still my favorite dive trip. The people are great and diving is really good. I need to go back.

I've been to Belize in November a couple of times. Both times we had pretty good weather and the water temps were around 80. However, you can get storms blowing down from the US that churn up the water and there is even slight chance of a hurricane.
Luke

I've been on the Rorqual many times and have done both those itineries. The Sugar Wreck is a very memorable. However, for sharks.... Cay Sal is your best bet. I was have been there 3 times and there have always been lots of sharks at the Blue Hole. Probably the best night dive I've EVER done was on the Cay Sal trip at Damas Rocks. Many huge nurse sharks and lots of other things.
I've done the northern several times also and recently they've changed some of the dive sites. Aside from the 3 wrecks and a couple of other "okay" dives, the remaining dives are very weak.
Avoid the Cay Lobos trip. Although they stop at Cay Sal, going on to Cay Lobos is a total waste of dives and time.
On my last two trips aboard the Rorqual they have had problems with the steering. Hopefully this has been addressed.
All in All the Nekton runs great trips and I highly recommend them over many of the budget operations also found in the Bahamas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom