Nekton Bahamas - Cay Sal or NW itenerary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ginah:
I've been on the Rorqual many times and have done both those itineries. The Sugar Wreck is a very memorable. However, for sharks.... Cay Sal is your best bet. I was have been there 3 times and there have always been lots of sharks at the Blue Hole. Probably the best night dive I've EVER done was on the Cay Sal trip at Damas Rocks. Many huge nurse sharks and lots of other things.
I've done the northern several times also and recently they've changed some of the dive sites. Aside from the 3 wrecks and a couple of other "okay" dives, the remaining dives are very weak.
Avoid the Cay Lobos trip. Although they stop at Cay Sal, going on to Cay Lobos is a total waste of dives and time.
On my last two trips aboard the Rorqual they have had problems with the steering. Hopefully this has been addressed.
All in All the Nekton runs great trips and I highly recommend them over many of the budget operations also found in the Bahamas.

thats good to know ginah. I guess when I eventually do take a nekton trip it will be the cay sal trip.

ginah:
Avoid the Cay Lobos trip. Although they stop at Cay Sal, going on to Cay Lobos is a total waste of dives and time.
That's good to know. I was scheduled to be on the Cay Lobos itinerary next June. But I got a call from the Nekton Office last week and the Rorqual is moving to the Caymans.

Let's start another thread on this subject....
Luke

well, we are now booked for Cay Sal itenerary for May27th-June3rd. Woo Hoo!

we are really looking forward to it especially because this will be my first salt water trip with my new video rig that santa brought me. Sharks + video = good!

robint

You'll have fun. There are 5 dives a day available, 4 during the day and a night dive. We skipped one of the night dives because that night the current was so strong the boat was throwing a wake while anchored--not my idea of fun in the dark in the middle of nowhere :D The shark dive was cool, the Nekton takes video as well and it was cool to see how close the reef sharks would come to you, sometimes almost right under your nose. We saw a couple of sharks during night dives as well which was a first for me.

Enjoy your trip! It's was well worth the cost when we went. One note though, if you are prone to seasickness take your meds. It's billed as a "no-seasick" boat but it still "wobbles" as it moves. We went with another couple and he got so seasick the Coast Guard had to take him off in a helicopter and he spent 3 days in ICU on Marathon Key. I always take my meds and had no problems with getting sick even on a minimum dose. If you never get sick on boats you probably won't have any problems though, my husband didn't.

Ask the chief engineer if you can get a tour of the engine room--I have some really cool pictures from the Nekton Pilot's :D
Ber :lilbunny:

I'll have to scan some in when I get home and post them. My profile pic was taken on the top deck of the boat.

Ber Rabbit:
I'll have to scan some in when I get home and post them. My profile pic was taken on the top deck of the boat.

did you find those pictures?? I'd still love to see them and here the details of the trip - dive sites, depths, all the details!!

robint

Had to do some digging but I did finally find them :) I'll have to get them scanned into the computer and round up my logbook for all the sordid details :wink:. I've been working on powerpoint presentations for my OW class so I haven't had time to get started on the scanning yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get started on scanning those this week since hubby is out of town.

Maybe when hubby gets home I can get him to burn a copy of the video they shot on the boat onto a DVD to send to you. We had some characters as crew members! They were extremely professional the first couple of days then one day it seemed that all of them were up for some kind of "class clown" award. They showed the video our last night on the boat and that explained the sudden crew goofiness--parts of that video are a riot! Needless to say we had to buy one :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom