Nekton boats may come back!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That brings up a very interesting question. Perhaps Cappy or Wookie, or others could answer this one:

Have you ever heard of any liveaboard divers anywhere being prevented from diving for their conduct?

I could imagine whale related trips could, so excluding those. The damage of one person is certainly unlikely the end of the reef but would be just another nail in the coffin.

I have had to pull divers aside and "lecture" them (as captain, not as a DM) when other divers or crew reported problems with diver behavior, but I never had to hold anyone out of the water. I do remember having to send a crew member to "buddy" with a diver who repeatedly altered the reef to get pictures (the bonehead broke off a sea fan and posed it somewhere else to get the "perfect" shot), but I considered it more of a precaution than a punishment. Having a DM along deterred the diver from continuing his poor behavior. I remember him very well because he stiffed us at the end of the week, even though we provided him his own private DM for most of the trip.

Go for it DeepDiver, especially if you're Capt. Nelson. I'm so ready to sign on. I keep looking, pricing, thinking about a live-aboard and abort to return to Maui, with Lahaina Divers aboard their boats (where a former Nekton captain is now driving) because they also offer excellent support and the trips we want: an example, after years of trying to get Tim to give me an invite to Molokai'i trip, which only went out when the weather was good which would necessitate a flight from the west coast to HA for me, LD put it on the weekly itinerary for the stout of heart. They don't always go out (due to weather conditions or not financially feasible due to divers committed to go) but it's offered, like Nekton. My last paid trip with Nekton was supposed to be my return to Mona Isle, but got sent to St. Croix instead (said it was the ship, but I imagine it was the paid passengers to Mona). Food was totally awful, all week, but the company and the diving were totally terrific. That was my last live-aboard. LD and Untied Airlines have gotten a lot of money from me since then for several awesome trips. No slights, here, but I'd love to cruise and dive with Nelson again. Truly, Debbi C (the solo school teacher)

That brings up a very interesting question. Perhaps Cappy or Wookie, or others could answer this one:

Have you ever heard of any liveaboard divers anywhere being prevented from diving for their conduct?

I could imagine whale related trips could, so excluding those. The damage of one person is certainly unlikely the end of the reef but would be just another nail in the coffin.

Oh, yes. We used to sit divers out for running out of air. A little draconian, and the rule has since been modified, but the owners feeling was that if a diver ran out of air, the diver stood a better than even chance of needing medical attention, beyond what we could provide. Sometimes the Coast Guard won't fly if the passenger doesn't need critical care, so the boat would have to come home. It was a Least Common Denominator issue.

I have counseled many divers about touching/lying on/trying to bring home pieces of the reef.

I keep looking, pricing, thinking about a live-aboard and abort to return to Maui, with Lahaina Divers aboard their boats (where a former Nekton captain is now driving) because they also offer excellent support and the trips we want:

Curious, who is working for Lahaina Divers who used to be a captain on a Nekton boat?

Curious, who is working for Lahaina Divers who used to be a captain on a Nekton boat?

I believe that would be either Mike "Bama" Jones, or Rob (don't remember his last name). both of them earned their captains' tickets when working for Nekton. They both ran as first mates on the Pilot, and both ended up working in Hawaii.

Was this self-promotion, jealousy? The folks I met on Nekton were mostly just divers, not social networking afficioandos (like myself). I did join Scuba Board to keep track of a couple of folks I met aboard Nekton, and went back after a couple of years diving the Pacific when I heard what happened. I'm sad and hope Nelson gets a boat up and running soon. Ready for Puerto Rico!!

Now that I have gone through all the posts I would like to ask if the OP has gotten enough information?

How soon were you looking to purchase your boat? Should we be looking for the reveal at DEMA!!??

We have only been on the Pilot, but I would go again on a similar excursion.

We did watch a movie during some down time while enjoying a nice platter of Heike's after dive cookies.

Anxiously waiting for your reply...
tina

Now that I have gone through all the posts I would like to ask if the OP has gotten enough information?

How soon were you looking to purchase your boat? Should we be looking for the reveal at DEMA!!??

We did watch a movie during some down time while enjoying a nice platter of Heike's after dive cookies.

tina

I doubt there will be a DEMA reveal, considering both the Pilot and the Rorqual are still sitting at the dynamite dock in Port St. Joe

tina

I am kinda curious too. Ten weeks and almost 250 SB posts later, I am wondering if any progress has been made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom