Nekton boats may come back!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was an engineer on the rorqual,I beleive that if she cameback and organised properly the old guests and and new ones will come to her.I had some great times on her went to some great dive sites and met some great people.I hope she comes back on a foreign flag then I could work on her again.
goodluck with the project and let me know how your progessing.

You would be shocked and dismayed how many divers return to the boat with a beeping computer.
The two live-aboards I've been on (Nekton Pilot and Aqua Cat) both had the same rule: Return to the boat with your computer saying you violated a decompression obligation, and your diving was over for the week.

As for pricing, it happens everywhere, not just in the diving world: Lure customers in with a low price, and then tag on extra fees, costs, surcharges, etc. Buyer beware! I always ask what my full cost is going to be with all taxes, charges, fees, etc. Whether I'm buying a car, booking a hotel, visiting a resort, going on a boat, whatever.

And I like operators who quote a full price up front and are clear about what's not included, and up-front about any taxes they have to collect. I like it when alcohol is not included, since I don't drink. But the main thing is to be clear from the start. Then I can make up my own mind whether I want in or not.

BTW, I did not mean to suggest that nitrox divers were better trained than others. EVERY diver should know the limits of the gas s/he is using and dive within those limits. Nitrox is not "better." It is different, with different limits. I like it because it suits my diving style (I don't care to go deep). Other divers have different requirements. But a diver who gets bent because he ignored his NDL would probably get a toxic hit from diving too deep on nitrox. If you can't watch your gauges, you shouldn't be diving.

I'm going to humbly present another viewpoint, Cappyjon. We've had nitrox on the Spree since 1999. The previous owner charged 10 bucks a fill for it, and we had 2-3, as many as 10 per boatload using nitrox. Our bends rate was .03%, right in line with industry standards. In 2002, we had 8 cases of DCS, but hadn't had any in the prior 3 years, so we were still at average. I bought the boat in 2003. In 2005, we had another terrible year, with 8 cases noted. I looked at the problem and saw that all but 1 case was divers on air. In 2006, I started supplying nitrox at no additional charge. It doesn't cost me anything to make except a little diesel fuel, so I thought why not. I can't tell you what my bends rate is today, because we haven't had any cases since 2006. We have over 98% of our customers using nitrox. I offer a free nitrox experience to any customer on the boat. They get the entire class at no charge, but do not receive a certification at the end of the experience. I still get 2 or 3 folks a year that have nitrox cards but insist on using air, but they are rare. For liveaboard diving, nitrox is the only way to go, and should be mandatory for many repetitive dives per day.

Frank, I don't believe our viewpoints are contradictory. I teach nitrox, I dive nitrox (when appropriate, but most of my diving nowadays doesn't warrant it), and I would certainly consider a liveaboard that offered free nitrox over a liveaboard that charged an excessive rate or delivered a consistent low mix. You are preaching to the choir as far as the benefits of using nitrox, especially for a liveaboard experience.

My point was based only on my own personal experience with the Nekton Pilot. I worked on the boat from 1995 until 2001 without nitrox being available (I also worked on the boat post-2001, but our numbers decreased significantly with the introduction of the Rorqual and other factors such as 911). This was during Nekton's "heyday," when we averaged better than 1000 divers per year and went out with consistently with full (or nearly full) boats. During that six year period we had four confirmed cases of DCS (one of those was a former crew member who was diving way beyond recreational limits, in which case nitrox would have killed him). In that six year period, with over 6000 divers doing 25-27 dives per week, we only had four cases, an extremely low incidence rate.

Used correctly, nitrox does make diving safer, it would be foolish to argue this point. My point is that liveaboard profiles can be done safely on air and my experience on the Pilot supported this pretty conclusively.

I have booked many groups on both Nekton boats and if they sail again I will be there with my groups. The dive liveaboard sector needs to do what profitable resorts have for years, work with TRAVEL AGENTS. I think any operation that relies on diveshops sales alone is missing out on a huge portion of the travel industry and all the vacationers that go with it.

I have booked many groups on both Nekton boats and if they sail again I will be there with my groups. The dive liveaboard sector needs to do what profitable resorts have for years, work with TRAVEL AGENTS. I think any operation that relies on diveshops sales alone is missing out on a huge portion of the travel industry and all the vacationers that go with it.

Well, perhaps, but there are very few travel agents willing to work with liveaboards. It's a 2 way street.

. The dive liveaboard sector needs to do what profitable resorts have for years, work with TRAVEL AGENTS. I think any operation that relies on diveshops sales alone is missing out on a huge portion of the travel industry and all the vacationers that go with it.

Ownership of most big resorts is different than most liveaboards. They are corporate owned with a huge staff and hundreds of rooms.

Most liveaboards are owned by one person or a small company. Often the owner is also one of the captains and is a very hands on operation.

Well, perhaps, but there are very few travel agents willing to work with liveaboards. It's a 2 way street.

what kind of commission do Liveaboards pay to Travel agents? Your boat and/or others?

just curious....

most "big resorts" pay travel agents rather well. (Sandals type bookings, cruises, etc). (of course most air lines pay rather poorly, if at all).

I was going through old paperwork today and found a sheet of paper that someone used during my Nekton Pilot trip last year to explain the rule of thirds in photography. On the other side of the paper is an inspection sheet. At the bottom, it says
ENSURE THE MAIN ENGINE ROOMS HAVE NO WATER OR OIL ANYWHERE IN THEM. THIS IS CRITICAL!!! IF YOU FIND WATER WE ARE SINKING / IF YOU FIND OIL WE ARE LEAKING - USE THE PUMP TO GET RID OF IT ASAP!!!

FALSE REPORTS OR FAILURE TO PERFORM THE SPACE CHECKS WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF TIPS - NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!

what kind of commission do Liveaboards pay to Travel agents? Your boat and/or others?

just curious....

most "big resorts" pay travel agents rather well. (Sandals type bookings, cruises, etc). (of course most air lines pay rather poorly, if at all).

Mike, you'll usually find that that number is the most closely held secret in the business. You NEVER want one client finding out what your commission structure is, especially for another client.

Wow, this has gone from "would you be interested" to a Nitrox debate. I'm certified, but choose not to dive Nitrox because a) I'm a really conservative diver who doesn't use much air..b) I don't photograph so don't need extra bottom time for 'setting up' and c) hate those a-holes who just want to increase their dive numbers or bottom time, regardless of safety. They deserve everything they get. In over 350 dives I've never been bent, I'm not a DM, I've dove below 135 (accidentally, following whales) but didn't get locked out because I have a great computer that can handle the depth as long as I watch the time. I think a lot of folks ignore the basics, like ascents, which will cause problems every time. I'll still go with Nekton, even with the bad food, but am trying to find a reasonable trip with Aggressor. As a solo diver, it's not easy or cheap enough.

Let me know about the less expensive live aboards. As a solo female diver, the highest priority for me and my land-based husband is safety and comfort, so I don't do land-based trips with dive groups. Nekton provided an outstanding opportunity for me to get the diving out of my system every six months or so for a long time. Now, we vacation on Maui, but it's not quite the same. Aggressor fleet is really expensive and I'm not interested in a sea-based camping trip. Too old.

Back
Top Bottom