Nekton Rorqual runs aground in Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding running trips on a single engine, it's good to hear that's presently resolved but it does sound like it was more than a one week occurrence and it's sounds as though it impacted some trips.

The issue with no nitrox being available and no notification given prior to passengers arriving has been discussed at length here already so there's no point in rehashing it really except to say it caused plenty of unhappiness with many passengers.

We are capable of running on one engine, it's unfortunate that it impacted someone's trip. It hasn't happened since I have been on board so I can't comment on why that happened.

Regarding Nitrox... yeah. Crewmembers were livid that Nitrox was sold while the system was down. It starts the trip off on the wrong foot for all of us (guests and crew) It is something that we have brought up with the office. Though it's moot as both boats Nitrox systems are operating at the moment.

In regards to deploying the Anchor as an emergency stopping device. It would be like using your emergency brake to stop your car going 60. Not a good thing and very likely to cause more damage to both the boat and the reef.

We are capable of running on one engine, it's unfortunate that it impacted someone's trip. It hasn't happened since I have been on board so I can't comment on why that happened.

Regarding Nitrox... yeah. Crewmembers were livid that Nitrox was sold while the system was down. It starts the trip off on the wrong foot for all of us (guests and crew) It is something that we have brought up with the office. Though it's moot as both boats Nitrox systems are operating at the moment.

In regards to deploying the Anchor as an emergency stopping device. It would be like using your emergency brake to stop your car going 60. Not a good thing and very likely to cause more damage to both the boat and the reef.

In eight years and HUNDREDS of charters I can remember only one trip impacted by engine failure. We were off Bimini, lost our port engine (a clogged fuel filter) and had a difficult time making it to our mooring in time for the second afternoon dive (it was the last day of the trip). We eventually fixed the problem, but we did have to drive in big circles for awhile.

The anchor is NOT an emergency stopping device, but sometimes must be used to "hide out" in severe weather, usually on the lee side of an island.

Although I don't know the specific cause of the grounding my guess would be that it was an unforseen mechanical malfunction. The Nekton vessels, being US flagged, go through an "exhaustive and extensive" US Coast Guard inspection each year about this time. This inspection requires an entire team of Coast Guard inspectors and encompasses every vessel system and safety device. Whatever "caused" the grounding was obviously in proper working order at the time of the inspection. A functional and properly sized anchor, along with a functional and properly sized spare anchor is part of the inspection. By the photos and video it's my opinion that having an anchor out in such shallow water would have hampered the towing attempts and put people in harms way. A SWATH vessel won't tip over. In a grounding event it simply sits solid and straight on the bottom (totally different than a v-hulled vessel which will lean dangerously one way or another when in a grounding situation). Hope all goes well and they get back on charter. Having captained both Nekton vessels and several others much larger I am aware of the extensive concern and top priority Nekton places on safety. Yes I'm a little biased, but I wouldn't have been afraid to step on the Rorqual the day of the incident. A grounding, with similar wind and sea conditions, on most of the other vessels I've operated could have been devastating including personal harm, aquatic damage and the loss of a vessel. It's a fact of life, things break, so do trains, planes and automobiles! Thank God that there are organizations, the US Coast Guard Inspections unit, and operators such as Nekton who do everything possible to maximize our safety.

It has an anchor on the starboard side. Mooring is done off the port side. Only anchoring done on charter is Fri. nights in port on the PR. runs.

I called and they said all is fine, just a little dent.

Yeah, it's always "all fine" except I keep seeing these kinds of posts (posted a few days ago):

:mooner:I just got off the Nekton Rorqual i am now waiting at the airport after seven days stuck at the dock in puerto rico. I wish i could tell you that this liveaboard was worth it but it wasnt. A group of 19 customers spent 12+ hours waiting to board a vessel that was never going to leave port. Some arrangments were made to allow us to dive from the area, but the conditions were poor. After discovering a great dive spot on the west coast, we rented a car and hotel and finally got some great diving,at additional expense. As for the crew of this vessel they provided us with outstanding service durring this unfortunate mishap. They have our gratitude for trying to make a bad situation as enjoyable as possible. We will be waiting to hear from the owner as to our expenses/compensation with regard to this incident.

You just never read this kind of crap going on with an Aggressor boat, now do you??

Yeah, it's always "all fine" except I keep seeing these kinds of posts (posted a few days ago):

You just never read this kind of crap going on with an Aggressor boat, now do you??

right..... a friend of mine was on the Aggressor T&C a few yrs ago when halfway throught their trip it hit a reef during the night and partially sunk. Everyone had to be rescued from the boat and much of their gear got saturated with fuel. They all took it pretty well, got all their stuff from the boat when it got hauled back into port afew days later. The bottom line is.......... stuff happens to all liveaboards and boats of all kinds.

robin:D

There was also the post a while back about all the Utila Aggressor guests being robbed at gunpoint of all gear and personal items. I did'nt look up the linky - too lazy!

right..... a friend of mine was on the Aggressor T&C a few yrs ago when halfway throught their trip it hit a reef during the night and partially sunk. Everyone had to be rescued from the boat and much of their gear got saturated with fuel. They all took it pretty well, got all their stuff from the boat when it got hauled back into port afew days later. The bottom line is.......... stuff happens to all liveaboards and boats of all kinds.

robin:D

Robin - you are too predictible, you come running in defense EVERYTIME.

There was also the post a while back about all the Utila Aggressor guests being robbed at gunpoint of all gear and personal items. I did'nt look up the linky - too lazy!

I can't find stories for either of these here or via google. Show me some links.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom