Neopreme...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Get a grip people. Its Neoprene.

NEE'-OH-PREEN

Thank you.

K

Yes, thank you. Along the same lines: its APEKS!!!!! Not Apex.

Mo2vation:
NEE'-OH-PREEN

LOL

This is why I have the T-shirt:
"I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter"

LioKai

LUBOLD8431:
Yes, thank you. Along the same lines: its APEKS!!!!! Not Apex.

What reminded me of this is the DIR/2004 DVD showed up today, and GI3 keeps saying neopreMe... driving me nuts.

K

Hey, the "M" is right next to the "N" on the keyboard. Maybe it was just a typo. :wink:

Just be glad they don't have to say "polychloroprene". :D

Just like Dubyah's constant mispronunciation of "nuclear". A guy shouldn't have his finger on the button of something he can't pronounce. :eyebrow:

All I can figure is that there are some people who really strive to pronounce things correctly, and others who either don't care, or don't want to say it right.

Here's something from www.deadbrain.com. It's a parody/satire site, so it's probably apocryphal, but it's still funny:

Bush's Vocal Coach Resigns Over Endless "Nuclear" Mispronunciations
Aug 15 2003 by Allen Voivod

Tex Whitcombe finally met his match in George W. Bush.

The renowned vocal coach, who has trained the likes of Jesse Jackson and Arnold Schwarzenegger, resigned today, citing complete frustration with Bush's refusal to correctly pronounce the word "nuclear."

"He thinks it sounds folksy, that it endears him to the public," Whitcombe told reporters. "He's wrong. It makes him sound like a moonshine-swillin' j*****s. He knows how to say it, but he just refuses to do it right."

Insiders report that Whitcombe's relationship with Bush has been strained since a July 17th press conference Bush held with British Prime Minister Tony Blair. During that event, Bush repeatedly pronounced the word as 'new-cue-lur,' which even caused Mr. Blair to roll his eyes and smirk at one point. Whitcombe, who had been standing in the back of the room, uttered a loud groan after the last mispronunciation and stormed out, slamming the door behind him.

White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan dismissed the importance of Whitcombe to Bush's reelection campaign. "We've got a different kind of diction, it's a good diction, and I think the American people like our diction just fine."

Whitcombe's first major client was Rev. Jesse Jackson. "You couldn't understand a word he said before I got to him, and you can't understand a word he says now, but when we worked together…that was magic." As for Schwarzenegger, Whitcombe says, "Arnie worked so hard to learn English when he came to America, he sounded like some pantywaist Disneyland tour guide when I got to him."

Whatever.....

My boyfriend always say ideal, when he means idea. ARRGGGH...it's enough to send me off the deep end. Also, lieberry/library, kiddygarden/kindergarten. Oh, I could go on & on.
At least he knows that APEX is a tool manufacturer.

Mo2vation:
Get a grip people. Its Neoprene.

NEE'-OH-PREEN

Thank you.

K

And it's measured in MILLIMETERS, MM, thousandths of a meter, not MIL, which is thousandths of an inch.

A 3MIL suit is VERY thin. A 3MM suit, not so thin.

Kat:
My boyfriend always say ideal, when he means idea. ARRGGGH...it's enough to send me off the deep end. Also, lieberry/library, kiddygarden/kindergarten. Oh, I could go on & on.
At least he knows that APEX is a tool manufacturer.

A buddy: Alvum (to this day!!!) and not Album. I can't even begin to understand the corruption of that one...

Another buddy: Pixture and not picture. Dude doesn't even know it... you correct him the first hundred times than just let it roll...

My mom used to have interesting ways of saying the most common words... I guess its just from the various dialects from across the US:

Orange: OHrange v AHrange
Wash: WAH-sh v WAR-sh
Florida: FLOW-rida v FLAH-rida (Dodgers fans here Vinnie say this all the time...)
TV: tee-VEE v TEE-vee

etc, etc, etc....

We won't even get into the whole your / you're thing, Rachael.

k

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom