Nerve-racked after first open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you have a good sense of self-awareness, and a good head on your shoulders. Just remember to relax.... and breathe!:14:

i think he's either quit the sport or figured it out. this was 3 years ago!!

At three years down the road, I kinda doubt that he's still diving. I hope that's not true, but I would think he would have come back here to talk about it if he was still enthusiastic about diving.

SeaRat

I think the way these threads come back up is that people read the box at the bottom of every page has suggests similar threads to read like the one on the page I am reading now see example of the info cut and pasted below.

I think they just don't pay any attention to the detail of the post. You see this all the time with either the date of the post or people will respond to a long thread but only read the first post and have no clue what the pages in between say.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open Water Cert In Cold Water MOMMA New Divers & Those Considering Diving 30 08-29-2005 04:59 PM
open water near GTA? wetbehindtheear Ontario Fresh Water Freaks 12 03-31-2004 09:22 AM
Where to do open water? steve03 New Divers & Those Considering Diving 6 05-31-2003 09:23 PM
First day of open water done JessicaDodge New Divers & Those Considering Diving 2 07-27-2002 10:45 PM

It's the bane of internet forums. I've almost done it before, will do a 'search' like you're supposed to, find something that's what you were looking for, get ready to reply and WHOOOPS, this is from 2 years ago!!

So it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you dont on both sides. The board ops could prune old threads, but then you can lose stuff you wanted to keep accidently. Then of course you have people that will post a new thread on something that's been discussed to death, and they get the 'use the search feature' reply from people. Problem is, then you get these old posts 'rose from the depths' when people DO use the search function, but just arent maybe familiar with forums or just plain miss the dates. :D

After reading this post, a few things say HOLD ON A SECOND! No darn way do you need 26 pounds of weight....no wonder you were so dang tired. This is a sure sign of what i like to consider the lazzyass instructor syndrome. Hmmm i think in 5 feet of water i will just pin the students to the bottom like a rock and make instructing a breeze. Bouyancy seems to be a non issue for some instructors, they refuse to spend the time to teach proper skills, and then we end up with people having a miserable time in the water, or swimming around at an angle like / stirring and breaking stuff. I see this far too often. I gues what i am trying to say is drop half the weight you have and i bet you can still get to the bottom. Remeber we become less Bouyant the farther we go down. After posting did not realise it was such an old thread heh.

maybe some smart BB program writer should devise a way to bring up a window before submission... "the last post in this thread is over a year old, do you still want to submit your post???"

(not referring to WTD, just the generally accidental dredging up of threads)

:)

Pace yourself on the surface swims. I felt the same way. You don't get bonus points for being a fast surface swimmer. Who cares if it takes a bit longer to get out to the float on a shore dive.......

I figure the threads are timeless and will benefit the lurkers who are reading.

The "old thread" warning would be a neat feature just the same.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom