New adapter for Canon G10 housing (WP-DC28) by UWCa.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed_Dman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Introducing the adapter for the Canon G10 housing (WP-DC 28) by UWCa. It's a new adapter and due out in a few weeks time (according to the manufacturer).

uwcaadapter1smalldr5.jpg

uwcaadapter2smallrn3.jpg

uwcaadapter3smallzk3.jpg

- Made from High Quality Aluminum Alloy
- Internal O-ring for easy attachment and snug fit without any screw required
- Smooth M67 thread for easy lens attaching and removing
- Light and durable
Cost: USD55 (excluding shipping).

Please feel free to PM me if you are interested in getting one. Thanks!

Ed.

Is it safe to assume that using this with any of the wide-angle lenses will vignette badly? That seams to be the trend with all the higher priced housings. I'd be surprised if the accessory for OEM housings managed to do it better.

Is it safe to assume that using this with any of the wide-angle lenses will vignette badly? That seams to be the trend with all the higher priced housings. I'd be surprised if the accessory for OEM housings managed to do it better.

At current moment, I believe non of the housings support the attachment of a WA lens (without vignetting). This is due to the size of the lens and housing port. However, the built in 28mm is reasonably good enough for WA shots. This adapter is specifically designed for close-up/macro lenses. :wink:

Ed.

That's simply not the case.
The OEM housing simply does not support any WA lens attachment. This is because the largest lens thread that Inon or any other brand has, is with 67mm thread. That is why, many opt for the Ikelite housing, instead of the OEM housing.

For the Ikelite (G9), you can use the shorter port for WA shots with WA lens. However, once you put the short port on, you won't be able to zoom it all the way if you decide to shoot macro. The reason is because the zoomed lens will hit the port. As for the G10, I believe Ikelite has found a solution. :wink:

http://ikelite.com/web_two/wd4dome.html

Ed.

The OEM housing simply does not support any WA lens attachment. This is because the largest lens thread that Inon or any other brand has, is with 67mm thread. That is why, many opt for the Ikelite housing, instead of the OEM housing.

For the Ikelite (G9), you can use the shorter port for WA shots with WA lens. However, once you put the short port on, you won't be able to zoom it all the way if you decide to shoot macro. The reason is because the zoomed lens will hit the port. As for the G10, I believe Ikelite has found a solution. :wink:

WD-4 Wide Angle Dome for Canon G10

Ed.

A G10 has a 28mm native lens. Underwater a 28MM lens is not wide angle. Through a flat port the magnification factor is 1.33X which means it is more like a 35MM which is barely considered wide angle above water much less below it. So, then Ikelite puts a slip on dome on the Ike G10 housing, clever, better than nothing so now the 28MM lens is corrected to retain it's above water FOV of 28MM equivalent or about 65 degrees. Still, that is hardly wide angle underwater, but certainly an improvement. The various wet mount lenses allow a underwater actual FOV of 90 to 165 degrees. Therefore my conclusion is that anything short of a proper adapter to available wet mount WAL lenses is halfa---.

BTW, the adapter this thread is about will work for macro and nothing else, pretty darn sure of that.

N

A G10 has a 28mm native lens. Underwater a 28MM lens is not wide angle. Through a flat port the magnification factor is 1.33X which means it is more like a 35MM which is barely considered wide angle above water much less below it. So, then Ikelite puts a slip on dome on the Ike G10 housing, clever, better than nothing so now the 28MM lens is corrected to retain it's above water FOV of 28MM equivalent or about 65 degrees. Still, that is hardly wide angle underwater, but certainly an improvement. The various wet mount lenses allow a underwater actual FOV of 90 to 165 degrees. Therefore my conclusion is that anything short of a proper adapter to available wet mount WAL lenses is halfa---.

BTW, the adapter this thread is about will work for macro and nothing else, pretty darn sure of that.
N

Very well said, I couldn't have said it better myself. The adapter is pretty much for those, who are interested in doing macros. As you can see it in the shown pictures.

Nemrod - Thanks for the explanation and sharing my view. :wink:

Ed.

Very well said, I couldn't have said it better myself. The adapter is pretty much for those, who are interested in doing macros. As you can see it in the shown pictures.

Nemrod - Thanks for the explanation and sharing my view. :wink:

Ed.

Well, I am sorta on another mini Crusade, among several I have undertaken, to dispel common ignorance of optics of land cameras when used for underwater photography. The thing is that I have become convinced that while it can be expected that many talented photographers really have no understanding of optical physics you would at least expect manufactures to have such knowledge, I believe they largely do not.

Granted, the adapter here was obviously not intended for wide angle but for macro and for that it should do fine. It is just that when I look across the gamut of cameras I am amazed, from P&S to dSLR, very few adapt well to underwater use because underwater minimizing the water between the camera and lens is paramount which means WIDE ANGLE and underwater wide angle begins more or less around at least 90 degrees FOV corrected underwater.

Consider, I am reading some facts on DX lenses which themselves impart somewhere around 1.4 to 1.6X to equivalent focal lengths on a 35MM format and then listen to the pattering about domes and 12MM wide angles that are producing something around a mere 100 degree FOV, my response, pathetic, if that is correct, still learning there.

Why reinvent the wheel with each new P&S housing, cannot they optimize the port configuration and camera selection to accept and utilize off the shelf lenses--effectively---from Inon/Ikelite/Epoque/FX etc. WTH

I am still on a learning curve as I absorb DX format conversions to FOV equivalents but what I am learning as it pertains to wide angle, underwater, FOV greater than 100 degrees is not impressing me. I am not adverse to spending large amounts of money but for that money I expect to be able to shoot full frame fisheye to at least 165 degree FOV and rectilinear to at least 100 degrees or more.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom