New adapter for Canon G10 housing (WP-DC28) by UWCa.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway no atachment WA lens for G10 housing now.
my solution is a DIY WA(semifisheye) lens.
attachment.php

I posted the article about this DIY lens at
wetpixel or myHP.

Attachments

• jtDSC_0062bc.jpg
    jtDSC_0062bc.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 334
Hi! May I ask an amateur question - I've seen the WA accessory lenses for G10 on Ebay, can I just put it on the G10 and then put everything in the DC-28 and go diving? Thanks!

Hi! May I ask an amateur question - I've seen the WA accessory lenses for G10 on Ebay, can I just put it on the G10 and then put everything in the DC-28 and go diving? Thanks!

No because:

A. It will not fit I do not think

B. You would be shooting though the FLAT port of the housing which applies a magnification factor per Snell's Law of 1.33X and additionally with wide angle, severe distortion.

N

Hi! thanks for the fast answer, now I know it for sure! one more question: now I use a canon a85
with the canon housing+ strobe, and it is slow, and 35mm so uw no wideangle, the 28mm G10 with the canon housing if I upgrade what would that extra 7mm mean with a wreck for instance? I want to fly to USA NorthCarolina to see the wrecks/sandtigers this june! thanks

apaka,

Your 35mm lens has a 39 degree field of view underwater (horizontal). The 28mm lens will have 48 degrees. If you got the Ikelite case with correction dome, that is expanded to 63 degrees.

For wrecks, you can't get too wide. 90+ degrees would be ideal.

The extra "7MM" as you mention would mean nothing really. The FOV is still very limited as the gentleman above points out. The Ikelite case restores the full FOV of about 63 degrees which is better than through a flat port, better than nothing, but underwater it is hardly wide angle. I imagine for those wrecks you would need at least 90 degrees and preferably 130 to 180 degrees FOV. I don't know for sure if the new G10 Patima housing accepts the Inon 100WAL Type II with dome port for 130 degree FOV semi fisheye, full frame. If it does, that would be your ticket as due to the limitations of DX format even most DX format dSLRs have trouble getting a FOV greater than that. (though of recent there are finally wide angle lenses for DX now that it will be replaced by true 35mm format FX, lol)

N

When you say "20mm retracted" can you explain, you mean the length difference is 20MM between minimum and maximum zoom?

The FX lens, yes, I am not fully understanding that unit yet. However, what I am understanding is that it only about 90 degree FOV. Links would be appreciated to show what you are talking about.

Fisheye FIX G10 Housing for the Canon G10 Camera

What does this 15mm port consist of? How does it work?

What is this port/lens?

Fisheye FIX NP6000 Housing for Nikon P6000 fe-np6_6.jpg

Whatever these are I notice they have a flat front element or port, which does not bode well for true wide angle underwater.

N
I own a G10 with Fisheye housing ... as well as the 15mm port ... and although I'm still very new with this setup I can perhaps answer your question.

The 15mm port is a separate piece. The standard "flat" port is a removable, bayonet-style mount. You take it off and replace it with the 15 mm port. As previously noted, this is NOT a wet mount ... you decide before the dive that your objective is wide-angle and go with it for the duration.

I only used the 15mm port for two dives (out of 25) on my recent Bonaire trip ... and that was mostly just to practice using it. I purchased it for a specific purpose ... taking pictures of wrecks. Here's a couple pictures I took using it in Bonaire. Note that I'm very new with this camera ... so please excuse the quality of the shots. But it'll give you an idea what it can do.

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How was the vis on that dive?

Those are separate dives ... 80+ feet in the first shot (Hilma Hooker), 50-60 feet in the second (La Machaca) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I am reading the specifications correctly that 15MM FX lens port on the FX G10 housing is producing a FOV underwater of about 90 degrees? Correct?

BTW, looks like we have another wide angle guy, thanks for the beautiful action photos, so much better than looking at a .25 inch long pink snail on a coral or some c---p like that. Good job!

N, "N" to zen

Back
Top Bottom