New adapter for Canon G10 housing (WP-DC28) by UWCa.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, that all having been said, can anyone suggest or has anyone already found an underwater WA lens that can be adopted to the G10 OEM UW housing?

So, that all having been said, can anyone suggest or has anyone already found an underwater WA lens that can be adopted to the G10 OEM UW housing?

Well I might be wrong, I use the G9 with a Canon Housing and have looked into this some, but I don't think it's possible. The Canon housing has a long port to accomodate the zoom lens. If you try to put a WA lens at the end of the port you will get vignetting in the corners unless you zoom in some, but zooming in negates the value of the WA lens. It's the geometry of it. That's why the better housings have both a long port to accomodate the zoom, but a short port (and no zoom) for attaching the WA lens. Maybe I wrong, I'm sure someone would love to point that out to me.:wink:

Let me condense what I said, no, it is not possible.

N

At current moment, I believe non of the housings support the attachment of a WA lens (without vignetting). This is due to the size of the lens and housing port. However, the built in 28mm is reasonably good enough for WA shots. This adapter is specifically designed for close-up/macro lenses. :wink:

Ed.

The Fix housing supports the attachment of a wide angle lens. I believe the Patima does as well, although I'm not sure it's available just yet.

The Fix housing supports the attachment of a wide angle lens. I believe the Patima does as well, although I'm not sure it's available just yet.

The Fix housing requires that the camera be zoomed to full wide-angle the entire time the 15mm port is attached. Use it and lose your zoom.

I suspect the Patima solution is similar.

The Fix housing requires that the camera be zoomed to full wide-angle the entire time the 15mm port is attached. Use it and lose your zoom.

I suspect the Patima solution is similar.

You should not zoom any more than needed to eliminate minor vignetting with any wet mount fisheye or wide angle lens. There is no point in zooming. Zooming the lens will cause blurring of the perimeter of the scene. The lenses are designed to correctly work when the camera lens is at full wide or at least nearly so. The minor amount of zoom, as I said, would be to eliminate vignetting so that the entire "cone of light" from the wet mount lens engages the camera's native lens. I have not worded that well, I know, but it is correct. These things are not just for a G10 or a this or that, they are universally correct. With a wet mount wide angle lens you should zoom with your fins. The whole point is to be able to shoot the same scene coverage from say three feet that the standard port would need to be at 10 to 12 feet to cover, thus eliminating water, debris and reducing the strobe power needed to properly expose.

Zoom is the worst thing that ever happened in photography.

N

You should not zoom any more than needed to eliminate minor vignetting with any wet mount fisheye or wide angle lens. There is no point in zooming. Zooming the lens will cause blurring of the perimeter of the scene. The lenses are designed to correctly work when the camera lens is at full wide or at least nearly so. The minor amount of zoom, as I said, would be to eliminate vignetting so that the entire "cone of light" from the wet mount lens engages the camera's native lens. I have not worded that well, I know, but it is correct. These things are not just for a G10 or a this or that, they are universally correct. With a wet mount wide angle lens you should zoom with your fins. The whole point is to be able to shoot the same scene coverage from say three feet that the standard port would need to be at 10 to 12 feet to cover, thus eliminating water, debris and reducing the strobe power needed to properly expose.

Zoom is the worst thing that ever happened in photography.

N

The Fix 15mm dome port is not a wet-mount lens. You install it on the surface and are committed to it for the duration of the dive. So, it really has nothing to do with your discussion above.

That said, the G10 actually IS a special case when talking about wet-mount lenses. The lens at full wide is something like 20mm retracted from it's full tele position. That means the port has to be HUGE in order accommodate both the actual lens in tele and the light path in wide. No wet mount has large enough glass to work over such a port ... most lenses are wide in their fully extended (or nearly so) position, making the light path much narrower.

The Fix 15mm dome port is not a wet-mount lens. You install it on the surface and are committed to it for the duration of the dive. So, it really has nothing to do with your discussion above.

That said, the G10 actually IS a special case when talking about wet-mount lenses. The lens at full wide is something like 20mm retracted from it's full tele position. That means the port has to be HUGE in order accommodate both the actual lens in tele and the light path in wide. No wet mount has large enough glass to work over such a port ... most lenses are wide in their fully extended (or nearly so) position, making the light path much narrower.

When you say "20mm retracted" can you explain, you mean the length difference is 20MM between minimum and maximum zoom?

The FX lens, yes, I am not fully understanding that unit yet. However, what I am understanding is that it only about 90 degree FOV. Links would be appreciated to show what you are talking about.

Fisheye FIX G10 Housing for the Canon G10 Camera

What does this 15mm port consist of? How does it work?

What is this port/lens?

Fisheye FIX NP6000 Housing for Nikon P6000 fe-np6_6.jpg

Whatever these are I notice they have a flat front element or port, which does not bode well for true wide angle underwater.

N

And I thought DSLR's were complicated. Their different lens and port systems are starting to seem much simpler than the G10's WA/Macro options!

Wow! This thread has gone into very technical detail discussion... I mean in a good way. Hehe... :D
Anyway, will keep everyone inform, once the UWCa adapter is out. :wink:

Ed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom