New artificial reef off Phuket soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it appears the big event has now been postponed until high season - November.

"PHUKET CITY: The sinking of 10 decommissioned military aircraft – nicknamed the Coral Reef Squadron – to create Thailand’s largest artificial reef has been postponed until November, Tourism Authority of Thailand South Region 4 Office Director Suwalai Pinpradub announced today.

Speaking at a press conference this afternoon, K. Suwalai said that the strong winds and large waves that have arrived with the rainy season monsoon have now made it too dangerous to sink the aircraft in Bang Tao Bay."

Phuket Gazette - online English newspaper for Phuket, Thailand, with daily news, classified ads, yellow pages, business listings, upcoming events, event calendar, phuket events

I wonder how this is going to spill over into the KT vs. Phuket bashing thing. Sounds like a good move with the reported conditions.

Thanks again,

Arizona

It seems like the rainy season is early here in BKK, or is just a short lived thing? Everyone I talk to who has been here for several years all claim they never remember it raining in BKK this much during this time of year in the past. Let's hope high season is good one weather wise in that area.

AZ

maybe this will make them realise that they havent exactly chosen the best spot for the new "reef"

there are plenty of protected bays that offer year round diving that they could be put in, of course that would mean they wouldnt be right on a paticular dive shops door step though.............

It seems like the rainy season is early here in BKK, or is just a short lived thing? Everyone I talk to who has been here for several years all claim they never remember it raining in BKK this much during this time of year in the past. Let's hope high season is good one weather wise in that area.

AZ

Hmm..I wonder how that's going to affect the rice crop. Too much early rain I'd expect might wash away the seedlings.

That is a scary thought!

maybe this will make them realise that they havent exactly chosen the best spot for the new "reef"

there are plenty of protected bays that offer year round diving that they could be put in, of course that would mean they wouldnt be right on a paticular dive shops door step though.............

My point earlier in this thread. Although good intent may have started this, the baht & who is going to benefit will fit into the equation as well.

Nothing too bad here, but yesterday and the day before were quite windy. So for a precision operation like this one not the best conditions.

Spoke to a Bang Tao diveguide yesterday BTW, he told me that they never go diving on the specific site where the planes will be sunk, because the vis is never better than 4 meters there.

Ah well, we all know why this specific site was chosen.

Back
Top Bottom