New Bare SB System Drysuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, any new updates on the SB suit ? New adopters ?

Thx for the feedback !

Ps : I'm still hesitating between Bare SB and Santi E.lite.

To me, there is NO Comparison! Just for these two main points alone:
1. No Pocket Options (the 1 pocket that it comes with is useless, you feel anything that is in it for the whole dive) for the Bare SB! All of our divers go with 2 pockets! SANTI has the best ones on the market.
2. SANTI Flex-Sole boots are the best Drysuit boot (Attached/Streamlined/Max Ankle flexibility) option on the market!

Well got a few dives in on my new SB... Have to say-- so far-- love it.. Very streamlined... Great flex and comfort... Im back and forth on pockets.. I dont really carry much-- so for me they would just be extra drag... If i was going to go do something i needed pockets for-- id just use a neoprene short/pocket combo.. Then i have best of both worlds.. NO pockets when i dont need them and pockets when i do.. I really like the look of the suit.. So far-- no real wear marks-- though a wopping total of maybe 10 dives .. lol..

Thx for the feedback !

@Hoopa : where do you dive, what kind of undersuit do you use, what is the water temperature now, cold ok ?

Hello everyone...
I'm a new owner of an SB system drysuit and so far it has been fantastic. I dive in Monterey Ca. with an average water temp of 54 deg. I have the SB undergarments which keep me plenty warm, I added the Si Tech glove lock QCP system which allow use of dry gloves while still having the comfort of the wrist seal in place (or wet gloves without the need to swap out the seals when dry gloves are being used). Another thing to note about the glove system is the cost of replacing wrist seals and aftermarket (industrial strength) dry gloves which is by far less expensive than other competing products. I also opted for the neoprene neck seal with the Elastek dry hood. The beauty of this combination is the hood seals around the neoprene neck seal (it's cut short) without the need to tuck any extra material in the drysuit.

So far, the positives are close to skin cut of the drysuit while keeping full mobility due to the stretch material. Single zipper design (little to no maintenance), ease of donning/doffing (I have a bad back and I'm able to do so without any assistance which was a key requirement for purchase), and it weighs just over 8 lbs.

The only downside so far (mirroring other comments) is the zippered leg compartment. I use a weight harness that covers the zipper so its pretty difficult at best to unzip the pocket less use it for something. I'll purchase a neoprene pocket short if i feel need to add pockets.

I'll add additional comments as I continue to dive this suit over the next two months.

Joeri... I dive in so cal.. Though its been pretty cold.. About the same as jphouse2... Was out at catalina and dive a few dives on the northern part and was lowish 52F water lower down (i think-- was about a month ago i went).. As for my undersuit-- i actually like to run a little cool cause i overheat easy... I was just using the first layer sb system... Its like macho tshirt material-- though its thicker then that and im sure its more more tech then that-- and a sb system polar vest... That kept me just fine..

Ill just say --A. Ill never go back to a wetsuit again unless in water that is warm... Just got back from png and was 80f+ there.. haha no drysuit needed.. B. Im really happy with my suit.. Fits well-- low drag--stretchy-- easy to don and doff-- i like the looks-- all and all happy..

As for the pocket problem jbhouse2 was having.. I use a halcyon infinity system with integrated weights(plus i put extra weight on my bp) so for me i can get to the pocket just fine.. But if you wear a system like jb does-- then its a consideration for sure.. Though the idea of neopreen shorts with pockets in them would still work great..

The pocket thing comes down to this---- do you need to tote a lot of stuff in your pockets or not?... Or if you do put a few things in your pocket-- would you rather have drag producing pockets or would you rather have a streamlined setup.. For me-= i dont carry anything(or very little) and i love streamlined.. So the SB was a perfect fit.. Again(not to sound like a broken record)--= my solution for need of pockets is going to be neopreen shorts that have nice big pockets on them.. Puts me in a no lose situation..

Just a thought to on undergarments.. Another way to go is to use a lavacore suit under your drysuit.. Its thin(and super stretchy)-- cheap($200)-- doesn't pill up(has a slick outer layer)-- can keep you warm if water gets into the drytsuit and has ZERO buoyancy effect(meaning you dont need to add weight to use this unlike thick thermal layers of polartec).. Just food for thought..

My wife and I tested our new Bare SB's today. It was our first dry dive so lots of fun and challanges.
First the SB is a nice suit. We both got the SB base and Mid Layer system and stayed warm in 50 DF water. (down in texas)
We worked hard with our great LDS Maximum Scuba and the folks at BARE to get the right size and set up we wanted. BARE communicated with us several times to make sure we got what we wanted and the right fit.

Bare uses SiTech Vales and they INSTALLED PEE VALVE for us at the MFG and covered under warranty. (Same valve for both sex)

Bare can alter the legs and arms on the SB but thats it. If you have a short torso you might have some extra suite hangin there.

We also asked for pockets but they cant. At first I was like ,,,, really? But now looking close at the fabric I can see why. The suit has several different fabrics and each has its own pattern so a pocket would have to be on front of theigh. Getting anything to stick to it would be a challange in my opinion. Also this suit has plenty of stretch so that plays into it as well. The seams are very well done and are welded and tapped inside and out. The fabric is also cut in different shaps to allow best fit and stretch but again I think that might play into no pockets. I will get around this by putting belt pockets on my harness belt in the front for slates and misc.

I did not try to reach back over my head to touch the valve or 1st stage but moved very well in mine. We both got the latex seals and they are pretty tight on both of us. We took a little off between dives and will continue to adjust until it is not so tight. We also used elastek hood and gloves along with Trek boots and Hollis Batfin's. The self don zip is very easy to use and I can get in and out of my suit without help.

Out of the water,,, I wouldn't want to be standing around in this zipped up as I did get hot and damp from condensation pretty quick while gearing up. Once in the water I was fine and didn't notice the damp.

I might try a dive with just the base layer.

We also were surprised by the extra weight needed. We both dive Hollis (solo harness and HTS) and needed 24-26lbs of weight.

I will be putting in a lot of dives to get used to this and will update more along the way.

Thought this is my first dry and I have little exp with them,,, I am very very pleased with it and think this is a great investment.

Bare also included a pretty sweet wet/dry backpack duffle bag that everything fits in to kick!

Thanks Maximum Scuba in Houston and Bare!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new suit. I'm glad they got the p-valve thing worked out, I think that was a major reason they were not selling. The pockets can be overcome by using X-shorts or the Highland pocket shorts.

Looking at the suit, why would anybody want or need a Pee valve?
The zipper is in the front & unzips all the way down to the crotch.
Am I missing something?

Looking at the suit, why would anybody want or need a Pee valve?
The zipper is in the front & unzips all the way down to the crotch.
Am I missing something?

90 minute dive, 80 minute bladder. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom