New Boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm a warm water travel only diver. My old boots were giving me blisters at the seam, so I bought some new Tilos Trufit Beach Boots. I'm using large Deep6 Eddy fins.

The Tilos boots are MUCH BETTER than my old boots, with no seams to blister my feet. But after a great week at CocoView, using the Tilos boots and Eddy fins, I was getting some minor irritation in two spots: 1) heel where the spring strap rubs, and 2) heel/ankle above my boot where the spring strap finger loop rubbed.

I'm considering trying some Lycra socks, or maybe some new Deep6 3mm boots. I can't experiment locally, so whichever I choose, I'll be stuck with for my next week long trip. Also note the Deep 6 boots will probably fit the fins a little better than the Tilos.

I'd like to eliminate the sores. Do socks have a high likelihood of success, or should I spend a little extra for the Deep 6 boots?

B3708-1.jpg

unknown_4_1.jpe

pa221546.jpg

I haven't done weeklong trips, but when I do my laps in the pool (1 mile per session), which I snorkel, I find that one of my pool booties rubs one toe enough to rally irritate it. I started wearing my lycra scuba socks in the pool. It makes all the difference!

Also, I turn mine inside out so the seam is on the outside.

You can also look into moleskin or molefoam to apply to the hotspot.
Been in my hikers first aid kit for decades.

Just about every boot I have worn with a seam anywhere rubs me raw during the course of a week. Socks have helped quite a bit.
I had a AN/DP student wearing a pair of Scuba Pro boots during a pool session last week that has my attention.
No welded seam neoprene. Feels like a nylon shell tennis shoe.
1091779_primary.jpg

@JackD342 Yes, I like moleskin. It usually stays in place, but getting wet neoprene boots on and off can knock it loose. Plus it gets soaked and has to be removed and reapplied frequently. I love it when traveling, but consider it a reactive solution, rather than preventative (for scuba).

@Scott I really like the look of those ScubaPro boots, but $87 ouch. I wonder if they are tall enough. I was also getting some rubbing just above the edge of the neoprene where my calf meets my ankle. It was the finger loop of the spring strap. With thicker soles, maybe that would be further away from ankle.

@lexvil They're already pretty loose. I even had one slip off.

Maybe I'll get boots and socks!!

@JackD342 Yes, I like moleskin. It usually stays in place, but getting wet neoprene boots on and off can knock it loose. Plus it gets soaked and has to be removed and reapplied frequently. I love it when traveling, but consider it a reactive solution, rather than preventative (for scuba).

@Scott I really like the look of those ScubaPro boots, but $87 ouch. I wonder if they are tall enough. I was also getting some rubbing just above the edge of the neoprene where my calf meets my ankle. It was the finger loop of the spring strap. With thicker soles, maybe that would be further away from ankle.

@lexvil They're already pretty loose. I even had one slip off.

Maybe I'll get boots and socks!!
I have used foam sport bandages with good effect in the past too. Might be a bit more waterproof.

Have you thought about changing from the spring straps?

You can also just use a pair of sports socks from the neighbor athletic center or department store. Synthetic of course. We have done this since almost dive one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom