New challenge...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They look pretty much the same as adults.

this one is debatable, it's either what archman says it is Peristedion miniatum (armoured sea robin) or personally, I believe it is pterygotrigla multiocellatus (no common name) which is similar to the armoured sea robin except the prongs on the snout is a tad bit longer like the one in your picture

ringojcp:
I believe it is pterygotrigla multiocellatus (no common name)
I don't think so...
---
Distribution:Western Pacific: Japan to Taiwan and Saipan, including the Kyushu-Palau Ridge, East China Sea, and Saigon (Ref. 27468). Also reported from New Caledonia (Ref. 27468).
---
This one's from the Gulf of Mexico :)
Rick

The annoying thing about deepwater fauna... their distribution is frequently quite extensive. We get a lot of "cosmopolitan" species.

However, the Gulf of Mexico is fairly restrictive. An animal that has only been reported from the west Pacific is unlikely to be in the Gulf of Mexico. Of course, the species may just not have been sampled. Deepwater surveys are very expensive and infrequent.

If you're REALLY wanting the definitive reference for Gulf of Mexico fishes, our very own fish genius John McEachran has recently put out a couple of "super books". Volume two has just come out.
https://www.utexas.edu/utpress/excerpts/exmcefis.html

Unless the university buys me a set, I'm stuck with the Hoese & Moore book. Which is still pretty good, but it lacks much deepwater stuff.

Shipp gives passing mention to 'em... "other sea robins on the shelf, including some real odd balls. Some have long processes, nearly as long as their head, projecting from their snouts." but no systematic naming info.
Rick

archman:
Deepwater surveys are very expensive and infrequent
Oh, I don't know, Arch, all ye gotta do is beat the gulls to the bycatch, don'tchaknow :)
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Oh, I don't know, Arch, all ye gotta do is beat the gulls to the bycatch, don'tchaknow :)

Tag-along science surveys on deepwater trawlers used to be the rage up until about 1990 or so. Somehow they have fallen out of favor, which is a crying shame. With the USNOLS fleet shrinking, and expedition operating costs skyrocketing, hardly anyone's doing any physical collecting anymore.

I haven't handled a fresh deepwater critter since 2003. Boo!

archman:
Tag-along science surveys on deepwater trawlers used to be the rage up until about 1990 or so. Somehow they have fallen out of favor, which is a crying shame. With the USNOLS fleet shrinking, and expedition operating costs skyrocketing, hardly anyone's doing any physical collecting anymore.

I haven't handled a fresh deepwater critter since 2003. Boo!

Boo hoo, indeed! I hear you! My March trip to Panama was supposed to be on the STRI R/V Urraca but somehow it lost it's NOLS status (no one I talked to had the story) and the PI's budget couldn't handle the extra cost. The divers ended up riding pangas 1.5 hours each way to their sample site. So even shallow water collecting is being affected....

Any of y'all want to ride a gulf shrimper? I can't guarantee anything, but I do have a brother-in-law in the business...
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom