New cold-water wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday, I dove in the 'local' (1 hr away) lake for the first time, and much to my suprise, I loved it. Unfortunatly, I had to stay above the ~40ft thermocline. So, I want to get some new thermal protection.

Here's a little about my heating requirements: In 82 degree carribean water, I wear a 3mm full Hyperstretch with a 3mm Gold Core corewarmer underneath. Obviously, I get cold easily.

I would like to get a trilam drysuit, but that's way out of the price range considering I'd also like to get a wing, some tanks, etc in the near future. So, I did a little research and it seems like lots of people use Mares' Isotherm semi-dry suit. It seems like this would be a good suit for me.

Is this a good suit? What exactly does 'semi-dry' mean? Any different ideas?

thanks

Check Whites drysuits. They used to have some out of stock trilams for very cheap. s
teknitroxdiver:
Yesterday, I dove in the 'local' (1 hr away) lake for the first time, and much to my suprise, I loved it. Unfortunatly, I had to stay above the ~40ft thermocline. So, I want to get some new thermal protection.

Here's a little about my heating requirements: In 82 degree carribean water, I wear a 3mm full Hyperstretch with a 3mm Gold Core corewarmer underneath. Obviously, I get cold easily.

I would like to get a trilam drysuit, but that's way out of the price range considering I'd also like to get a wing, some tanks, etc in the near future. So, I did a little research and it seems like lots of people use Mares' Isotherm semi-dry suit. It seems like this would be a good suit for me.

thanks

I dive the Mares semi-dry. About what it means is that you are going to get wet but the water doesn't flush out of the suit. So you warm it once and it stays in the suit. A bit pricey but worth the money. I have had it down to the upper 40's and was warm.
With what you are using for the tropics a drysuit is the only way for you. In 70-75 degree water I dive my trunks, maybe a skin for protection.

teknitroxdiver:

thanks

Call Ed Rodgers at http://aquaflite.com

Nice guy, great product. I've never been cold in one of his suits.

Regards,

Tobin

My wife and I both love our Isotherms. They're pretty warm for short to medium-length dives, even in pretty cold water. However, they aren't as warm as a drysuit. As long as you aren't planning 60+ minute dives, you'll be fine in one. They show up on Ebay pretty often, so I'd keep an eye there and see what you find.

If you know that you're getting cold easily than the only way to go is a dry suit.
Hypothermia is not only something that will ruin your joy in the dive but is dangerous as well for obvious reasons.
You have to set your priorities and maybe not get all the desired gear at once. Get a dry suit and later the rest of the gear. BTW, the Mares suit isn't one of the cheaper and for a comperably small "surcharge", you could find yourself in one of the basic dry suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom