new dive flag idea/design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dan;

This is a great conversation.
For what it is worth, I spoke with some Coastie aviators and they said that I should always carry one of those cheapie "space blankets" in one of my BC pockets.
They said that if I ever was lost at sea, or whatever we want to call a "Whoops oh Sh@*" emergency, their rader would see that unfolded blanket silver side up lickety split.
So I bought a little Coleman silver blanket thingie from Wal-Mart and keep it with me.
There is definitely something to a couple of light nylon flags on a post perpindicular to one another.
I was also told by a PJ friend to carry some strips of chaff to unroll and it would pretty much float if made of mylar atop the water.
He said if I was in a cloud of that stuff he could see me off of Delray when he left Macdill in Tampa to come get me.
I still need to find some rolls of chaff for that one though.....lol.
Lets keep it going.
When I get some time I am going to try and fashion something from a cylindrical lobster pot float and a piece of pvc or something.
Chug

Is this the type of flag you're talking about?

Attachments

• b_tddf59.gif
    b_tddf59.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 195
Hi Dan;

This is a great conversation.
For what it is worth, I spoke with some Coastie aviators and they said that I should always carry one of those cheapie "space blankets" in one of my BC pockets.
They said that if I ever was lost at sea, or whatever we want to call a "Whoops oh Sh@*" emergency, their rader would see that unfolded blanket silver side up lickety split.
So I bought a little Coleman silver blanket thingie from Wal-Mart and keep it with me.
There is definitely something to a couple of light nylon flags on a post perpindicular to one another.
I was also told by a PJ friend to carry some strips of chaff to unroll and it would pretty much float if made of mylar atop the water.
He said if I was in a cloud of that stuff he could see me off of Delray when he left Macdill in Tampa to come get me.
I still need to find some rolls of chaff for that one though.....lol.
Lets keep it going.
When I get some time I am going to try and fashion something from a cylindrical lobster pot float and a piece of pvc or something.
Chug

These guys arer selling one, but the engineering student could take this flag, and mate it to several towing systems---the white float and line as used in Boynton beach diving, or, a torpedo float (that flys fast on the surface, and provied next to zero drag for the diver pulling it) with reel, etc.
YachtsOfStuff.com - Radar Flag, Boating Safety, 4 mile radar visibility.

Dan V

These guys arer selling one, but the engineering student could take this flag, and mate it to several towing systems---the white float and line as used in Boynton beach diving, or, a torpedo float (that flys fast on the surface, and provied next to zero drag for the diver pulling it) with reel, etc.
YachtsOfStuff.com - Radar Flag, Boating Safety, 4 mile radar visibility.

Dan V

id have to see the weight of the flag, i would kinda lean towards the torpedo based float for stability issues the regular flags at times get tipsy Esp the cyl float. The flag pic that was posted on here is kinda what i was thinking for initial idea, never saw one before

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom