New Dive Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soft scrub and todays toothpaste do almost nothing as they are NON ABRASIVE, if you have 10 year old toothpaste it will work, i personally use ajax, comet or heavy duty car rubbing compound, works perfectly and only takes about 30 seconds

Aren't the whitening toothpastes abrasive? I used some on the mask I picked up a couple weeks ago and it seems to work fine.

Ha Ha, some way to IM me. :rofl3:

Just to keep it on topic, the last 3-pack of paste I got from Costco worked OK for me! :)

Jeannie, I used this pic for a while back before the big server crash; the SB software only recently accepted it again. I've got plenty of time on my hands to tweak my SB!

I don't know why you guys have so much trouble with masks. I use regular toothpaste (the tube I keep in the Scubabus for this job has Nemo on it! LOL!) and then use some shampoo mixed with water and tequila and voila! No Fogging!!!

PS: That's a proprietary blend of shampoo, water and tequila...no trying to steal my idea you guys!!

If you don't want to mix your own for 5 bucks I can send you a bottle!!!

I think I'd have told them I changed my mind about buying the mask, since I didn't want to buy one that required special cleaners. And then watch them backpedal on the need for special scrub...

I don't know why you guys have so much trouble with masks. I use regular toothpaste (the tube I keep in the Scubabus for this job has Nemo on it! LOL!) and then use some shampoo mixed with water and tequila and voila! No Fogging!!!

PS: That's a proprietary blend of shampoo, water and tequila...no trying to steal my idea you guys!!

If you don't want to mix your own for 5 bucks I can send you a bottle!!!
Doug... I think I may have improved on that... I don't like the shampoo smell (and taste I get by the end of the dive), so I stick with the non-scented "Spit" brand defog (yes, the commercial spit)... BUT, it's WAY too thick when you buy it. If you don't cut it with something, you'll use the whole bottle in 3 dives! So, when I buy a new bottle, I top it up with Malibu Rum... for that "tropical" scent! :D

I think I'd have told them I changed my mind about buying the mask, since I didn't want to buy one that required special cleaners. And then watch them backpedal on the need for special scrub...

Brilliant! I bet something similar can be used in a lot of scenarios. I will try to keep that in mind.

The short side of my post is that I used toothpaste on the new mask, and had some minor fogging on the first dive and no problems since then. I use a commercial spit, but now I'm tempted to try one of the above "aromatic formulas".
I've also tried rubbing naupaka leafs (not the berry or flower) inside the mask for a shore dive (per a lifeguard's advice). It seems to work as a defog, but the vapors are irritating to my eyes.

I've also tried rubbing naupaka leafs (not the berry or flower) inside the mask for a shore dive (per a lifeguard's advice). It seems to work as a defog, but the vapors are irritating to my eyes.

You are the first I've heard who had a negative reaction, or any reaction for that matter. I've directed well over 3,000 people in it's successful use. Now I can't say I've never heard of a negative result :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom