New Dive Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicholas_R634

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey Nick here very new to the diving world, I have purchased the basic gear so far, fins, boots, snorkel, and a new mask as of today. my question is about my new mask I bought a Tilos Titanica and I am having trouble making a seal, I do have a rather large face so that's why my local dive shop considered this one, does anyone have any hints or tricks on how to make this work. Thanks

Try on every mask you can until you find one that fits and seals on tour face.
You don’t need an expensive mask.
Mask fit can be tough for some people but you will find one. Keep looking.

Sound advice from previous poster. The way to check mask fit is to put it on without the strap and breath in slightly through your nose, this should seal the mask to your face, and it should not fall off if you shake your head.

hey Nick here very new to the diving world, I have purchased the basic gear so far, fins, boots, snorkel, and a new mask as of today. my question is about my new mask I bought a Tilos Titanica and I am having trouble making a seal, I do have a rather large face so that's why my local dive shop considered this one, does anyone have any hints or tricks on how to make this work. Thanks
As already noted, the mask may not be the right fit for you.
But first a few notes for you to try in case it is a bit of "user error":
  1. Moustache or stubble? That can often be a primary cause of leaks.
  2. Exhaling through nose, either consciously or not? If/when you do, it breaks the seal and lets a little more water in each time.
  3. Back of strap too low on your head? If the strap is rubbing the top of year ears, or worse "turning the corner" on your ears, then it is too low.
  4. Are you over tightening it? Many masks, especially those with softer more pliable silicone skirts, will deform and start to open up if a diver keeps cranking down on the strap.
  5. Smile lines on your face creating a channel under the seal? Sorry, no magic tricks for that one.
Good luck, hope something above helped.

Some people use vaseline, especially under the nose. My Cressi Matrix is such a good fit I can breathe out through my nose and it always vents at the bottom, in effect making it virtually self clearing (of water). I have a fairly large head so Cressi may suit you.

You already bought? If there is no seal it does not fit. Take it back and follow 60plus and pepperbelly advice to find one that fits you. Your local dive shop should not have sold you a mask that does not seal to your face.

Deep smile lines are my problem. Took 16 masks to find the perfect one - 17 was the charm.

There is a solution for this issue. - get a mask with a longer skirt under the nose. Many masks these days have very short skirts.

so yes I did do a fi test at the shop which led to to purchase this mask and it does stay on my face while I hold my breath and I can shake my head all around and tug on it and it wont come off, but when I went into my local pool there is always a little bit of water that stands right at my nose

also I did take the razor our and trimmed before I went to the shop just to make sure it would fit right

All good advice above. Some folks just have a harder time than others finding one to fit well. I have never put one on that didn't seal, they aren't always comfortable due to having a pronounced nose bridge though.
Mrs Flush on the other hand has zero problem with comfort from almost any mask but she had a heck of a time in the beginning finding one that did not leak. Eventually we figured out that she had a small areas of a sweet spot on her face and her seal problems had more to do with placement and the fact that she was grinning ear to ear underwater.

Back
Top Bottom