NEW DIVE SHOP in Central AUSTIN???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BullSharkGator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Leaving Hyde Park Gym tonight and jogging back home, I couldn't help but notice that some lights were on at the ole dive shop on 4403 Guadalupe!!!! :balloons:

Is Glenn MacFarland making another go at it?

Or is Mike re-opening Austin AquaSports?

It looks like someone is putting energy into the place. There's a sign in the window for AquaKnow Aquatics swim lessons (but that sign has been there all summer.)

No one was there when I looked into the window, but someone's put primer on all the inside walls and doing patch work . . . does any one know if a new shop is moving in? :cheers:

I heard that DiversDirect.com wanted into the Texas market (but I heard they were sniffing around Houston, not Austin) and the Guadalupe location looks to be too small for their taste.

During dive intervals at Lake Travis, there's a lot of divers who talk about that place being very convenient, and it's a shame there's not a shop in that spot.

Who has the scoop? :confused:

BullSharkGator
:reaper: :rocker:

Glen had talked about several different options for the building and the pool, including a membership based club. I know he has been renting the pool to some of the local shops. It may be that he is pursuing his club idea a little further. That or he found someone interested in the building.

Texas PvilleStang,

????
Are you saying that the University Scuba Club is taking over the Aqua AquaSports location??

You say it's "NOT" a new shop as if you know the scoop?

It's one block south of the Triangle (where my girlfriend lives) and it's one block north of Hyde Park gym (where I lift weights?) . . . so I'm just curious if you know what's moving in? :confused:

????

there's a lot of divers who talk about that place being very convenient, and it's a shame there's not a shop in that spot.

Convenient? I mean, come on, Tom's and Clearwater are about 2-3 miles from there and maybe three more miles there's Royal and Scubaland. Are people picking up gear on foot? I mean, yes I have picked up tanks with my bike trailer but...

I'm not saying it wasn't a good shop but not any more convenient than the other places. If I lived down south, then Oak Hill would be very convenient.

ummm never mind, I'm not really making a point, I'm just sayin'

Aaron

I is NOT the University SCUBA Club, it is indeed a shop moving in there. I know they are getting the storefront back up to code, since the pathetic landlords won't sink a dollar into the place on their own accord. As for who it is, well... it's not UT, and it's not Aquasports, and it's not a large web outlet. Soon enough it will be known. Check out early next week.

So you know, but you're not sayin'
So your handle references being the Scuba Club prez, but you're "NOT" the Univ Scuba Club???

P, I'm just poking at you in good fun.
Harmless.

My business in located downtown (10th & Lamar) and it's exciting to know that a scuba shop is going to be closer to my job so I can zip by during the lunch hour. And I sure the students appreciate knowing that scuba is back on "The Drag", just north of campus. I wasn't trying to make waves, it's just that traffic is getting thicker, and it's nice to know that scuba has moved a little bit closer to me.

I heard it was going to become a Japanese restaurant. They are turning the pool into a koi pond.

Last edited:
They are turning the pool into a coy pond.

Hopefully the pond will get over this...:D

Oh hee - go net your own sushi with a pre-dinner dive and then enjoy...

(I tease!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom