New Diver, 1st mask/ fins, feedback plz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarKon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm starting my first certification class and was hoping to get some feedback on the mask and fins the helpful people at the diveshop recommended:

Aqualung/ US divers "Look Mask" (optical corrective lens)
Scubapro Twin Jet Split fin

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

My thing on masks is just to make sure that they fit well. Try on as many masks as you can and go with the one that fits the best. I'm on my third mask and have finally found one that fits perfectly. I harldy ever have any problems with leaks (if it does leak my snorkel is usually the culprit). When I did the little test of holding your breathe and seeing if the mask stayed on, I chose the one that was the hardest to pull off. I had just purchaed a very nice high end mask just a few weeks before this mask, but it was driving me crazy leaking all the time. The mask I have ended up with is some cheap off brand, but it fits perfectly.

As far as the fins, you'll hear people being adament that split fins are the best and others saying that you shouldn't get split fins. Personally I LOVE my Scubapro twin jet max fins. I purchased them back in Nov. and unfortunatlly lost them a couple of months ago. I never even thought to purchase a different fin. I went right away to buy the exact same pair again. A friend of mine just yesterday switched to the twin jet max fins and couldn't stop talking today on the boat about how much easier they were than her previous fins.

It is all about personal preference.

I think the Twinjet Max fins are great (though I haven't had yet the opportunity to try the Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water or the Apollo Bio fins, which are both rated better by divers).

I like that my twinjet max fins don't tire my legs (I almos forgot I wear them). The foot socket is excellent.

tusa split fins are; well, OK. are you sure you want splits? coz they're not that good in currents.
I'm gonna buy Mares Quattro
for the mask look for Atomic if it fits ok; you'll thank me later :D

The mask I have ended up with is some cheap off brand, but it fits perfectly.

Same here. My mask was sooo cheap but no worries at all.

Re fins: A shop rep advised me to try the fins on before you get in the water to ensure they are comfortable on your feet and don't have too much give on either side of your foot. I chose non-split fins and have had no problems - paid a lot of money tho! I wonder if the cheap principle works with fins? My buddy paid $40 (!!!) for his fins - they fit well and are comfortable for him. Thus - look around and try all on, even if the product is cheap.

When you are trying on masks, put a reg in your mouth if possible. Masks will fit a little differently with a reg in your mouth.

are you sure you want splits? coz they're not that good in currents.

I hadn't heard that before. Current situations are when I am glad I have my split fins. They seem to work a lot better. I don't know how a current would make then not work as well. Now they are not good for specialized kicks such as the frog kick or trying to go backwards in.

A mask with good fit is certainly good. As long as it fits (and you like the look), go for it.

As for the fin, I am not sure if I will actually get my own fins at this point of time. Get certified and probably a few more dives, you might understand your needs better. Fins preferences (as with many other gears) are subjective. I personaly hated split fins and love my Jets. There are others who like split fins so.................................

Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom