My DiveRite XT fins cracked

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had XT fins on my radar list for new fins….. but now will look elsewhere.

I love mine and have no plans to move to any other fins. I own 3.5 pair. Lost one fin a few years back. I’ve not had any fin pocket issues with mine.

They are fantastic for frog & back kicks and for helicopter turns, which constitute the vast majority of my diving. Not ideal flutter kick fins but they get the job done in the rare instances I need to flutter kick.

Just adding one more data point. I have 2 sets of DR XT fins (L for the pool and XL for the OW with drysuit). Both are splitting at the fin pocket in the manner described in this thread.... (both less than a year old)

Curiously - I have much older DR XT fins that are still fine. I wonder if it is a bad batch of rubber or a glitch in the mfg process...

First of all, I’m a serious diver, I always dive safely. My first fins were the Scubapro Seawing NOVA(not gorilla version), too light and always can’t catch up my friends with Barracuda and Jet Fins against the strong currents.

However, I sold it and got the DiveRite XT fins. The XT’s were excellent , the helicopter spin, backwards, trim controlling, flutter kicking for extra speed, every performance of the fins are good, and I personally think it’s the best.

Last week after a normal boat dive, I found it start cracking from the foot pocket.

The manufacturer date behind is 2019/OCT.

Anyone have the same problem? I really expected to use it for at least 10 years, because I saw some people dived with their Scubapro Jet fins 36 years.

Same problem? Or recommend new fins?
How is the GULL GT?
This happens to the best of Fin Manufacturers, primarily due to temperature, moisture, or contamination. I always cringe when it happens to my products. Nothing is 100% nowadays. Dive Rite is a great company, just purchase another pair to help keep their lights on.

This happens to the best of Fin Manufacturers, primarily due to temperature, moisture, or contamination. I always cringe when it happens to my products. Nothing is 100% nowadays. Dive Rite is a great company, just purchase another pair to help keep their lights on.
Normally agree, and if I get a reasonable amount of life out of a pair I have no problem with that approach...but they also are not cheap fins and letting them know about the issues so that they can address them is a good idea.

In my case, they replaced them for me and I'd absolutely buy more DR products, and would recommend the fins without hesitation, but I still expect them to last and not become a safety issue on a dive.

My buddies also got this issue, since I have seen at least 3 pairs of XT tear the exact same spot. DR's here do warranty claim the first time, NOT second time (he bought it on 2021 and it tears twice in 6 months)

They now moved on to tecline lightjet, deep6 eddy, and fourth element. No complain since.

I love my XT fins; I haven't found anything close to being able to handle full power kicks without just going limp.

They are starting to fall apart at the foot pockets; I have had the foot pockets wrapped in gorilla tape to extend the life of them.

Does any other fin come close to the power of these?

I love my XT fins; I haven't found anything close to being able to handle full power kicks without just going limp.

They are starting to fall apart at the foot pockets; I have had the foot pockets wrapped in gorilla tape to extend the life of them.

Does any other fin come close to the power of these?
I don't doubt its performance, but foot pocket durability currently questionable.
We wrapped in tape in the middle of our diving too, but power transfer just not the same.

IMHO I tried Deep6 eddy, Mares Avanti X3, or Original Mares Quattro (not the softer quattro+) giving out similar performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom