New diver. Can I dive anywhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is also problematic if you are required to fly a dive flag and boats required to keep (100 feet?) away from it. I don't know what NJ law is

NJ law
13:82-3.17 Diving and swimming (a) General provisions with respect to diving and swimming are as follows:
1. Underwater diving with or without an underwater apparatus is permitted in all navigable waters in New Jersey unless otherwise prohibited in this section;
2. Any person while diving shall mark his or her position with a buoyed flag: i. Such flag shall be displayed so that it is visible all around the horizon from a buoy, float, boat or other floating object; and ii. Such flag shall be a minimum of 14 inches by 16 inches, shall be rigid to enhance visibility and shall be a red background with a white diagonal stripe running from one corner to the other; 42 N.J.R. 636(a) 4
3. No person shall operate a vessel within 50 feet of the buoyed flag;
4. No person shall display a flag at times other than when diving is in progress;
5. No person shall swim or dive in a narrow, confined or improved channel or in a marked fairway, under a bridge, or impede, obstruct or interfere with passage of watercraft therein; and...
It goes on about restrictions to particular inlets.

Although it is not here, as I was looking around, the NJ boaters course says that divers have to come up within 25' of their flag, except in an emergency.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom