New diver. Can I dive anywhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can i dive anywhere? No. There are many municipalities that restrict diving in certain locations and on certain days. Check on locations from local govt sources.

You're not all that far from West Palm Beach. If you are looking for "cheap shore dive", then the Blue Heron Bridge at slack high tide, is fun and simple: Dive Blue Heron Bridge - Phil Foster Park Pura Vida Divers : Discover South Florida SCUBA Diving

Once there, and if you can spend a little coin, go on a drift dive on one of the several dive boat outfits there. Tell them your experience level. Pick a day when the sea is fairly calm, and it's a good dive for newbies--you can just hang near the DM, who's towing the buoy the boat follows, so you won't get "lost". And you don't have to swim hard (the current carries you over interesting reefs, in the 60-80-foot range), all you have to do is "steer". You air lasts longer that way. Your only disadvantage is there's no anchor line to hang on for the 15-20' safety stop, but it's good buoyancy practice and you'll catch on quickly, you "breathe" yourself up and down to stay at a fairly steady depth. Much info on line, here's a sample: Scuba Diving West Palm Beach | Snorkeling West Palm Beach

I've done some "no one ever dives there" dives, but not for fun, 'cause they're generally NOT fun. Surveyed a boat launch ramp after a hurricane, and dived in a marina to (eventually) find the eyeglasses I had lost overboard. Cleaned a boat bottom. All in two-feet to zero visibility. Save that stuff for later on, "conventional" diving is more fun and plenty challenging enough.

I would shy away from diving near Mar-a-Lago...lol

Only if you are a younger while lady not into more experienced men :D

This is intended as, ignoring my opinions on the person, a kind comment about a man slighly older than me.
OK, he's married, but his fame deserves criticism :D

Last edited:
I am currently in the process of getting certified. I have 4 check out dives then I will be certified. My question I live in between Tampa and Orlando Florida.I go to Tampa pretty frequently was wondering am I legally a loud to dive in Tampa Bay like Hillsborough river in Downtown Tampa? Or am I aloud to go to Clearwater Beach an swim to the dropoff an scuba dive? Like what are the laws and rules of Florida when it comes to Scuba Diving? People say I can dive in any body of water but what are the specifics an exceptions to this? The last thing I want is a visit from FWC(Florida Game Commission).

You can dive anywhere, the question is whether you'll be given a citation.

For instance, in NY it is illegal to dive from the beaches in most state parks. In FL I think it is just the opposite, you are allowed to dive anywhere it is not prohibited. (Which may include designated swimming areas.) Diving in designated channels and inlets, on the inner side of jetties lining them, is usually illegal.

I'd check with the locals, and with the FWC folks online, since they usually know all the "sporting" rules in Florida and are enforcing them. Also beware that Florida requires a 12"x12"(?) dive flag, which is LARGER than the flags required in many other states. Even if you are in the hotel jacuzzi, Florida requires a dive flag. Even for snorkelers.

Something your classes may not have mentioned is that curious but clueless boaters often zoom right up to the dive flag (which is very much illegal) because they want to see what that thing in the water is. And in Florida, sadly many boaters are more clueless than the norm. Someplace like divebuddy.com or meetup.com might find you a local diver to go out with, so you've got company familiar with the area.

You should check out the Florida Aquarium. For $160 you can dive in the Aquarium. You will get 2 dives to 45 to 60 feet for about 45 minutes each and you will be with the sand tigers which look pretty nasty and morays and all the big fish in their tank. They supply all your gear too for that $..Its pretty kool for a fairly new diver, heck its pretty kool for any diver who likes to be in the water with a load of marine life and the viz will be awesome. Diving in the Tampa area is not that good. You have to go way out in the gulf for the water to get a bit clearer and even then its crap. Spring diving will be good but as always,,,cold. Google up a few springs and see if might fit your likes......

I know there are laws prohibiting daytime diving, diving flagless, or diving in general from personal experiences in quite a few places (such as NW Fla., NJ, Long Island NY, etc. etc.) Come to Nova Scotia where there are no laws for any of that stuff, or at least if the cops know of any they don't care.
Will be heading South next month and have to dig out the old dive flag (if I can remember where I put it last August).

Tom-
NY pretty much allows diving in all waters, except where it could interfere with boat traffic or endanger the diver. The thing is, like most of the US, the land above the high tide line is almost all private property, so divers have no access. State and county parks often have a diving ban because they are afraid there will be a liability issue, but even that ban just applies within the boundaries of the park. They also ban boats from approaching within 100 yards (IIRC) of the park shores as well, to protect swimmers. But once you are in the water? And not interfering with traffic? I've never heard of a ban like that down here. Did I miss a memo? Again?!

Rred, Yeah absolutely. I was just thinking along practical lines (can you get there park there legally, etc.). The only place in the area that I personally have seen prohibiting being in the water diving has been Manasquan Inlet in North Jersey. It is permitted there only at night in the summer. I imagine there are a few similar areas here & there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom