New Diver: Drift Diving Dives 5-15 & Nitrox Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are drift diving in Cozumel. "Most" of the dives are a max of 60'. You can get to your safety stop at the point.
How many cuft of gas should you reserve for you and your buddy to safely exit a dive from 60ft

My wife was certified some 20 years ago in cozumel. She never would have tried diving had some female instructer in a hut not talked her into it. She has never had an issue with the depths or the current. If she can do it anyone can. We have now been diving 2x a year for 2 weeks in the caribbean, mostly cozumel, and she has become an excellent diver. Give it a chance especially if you are with an instructer the first dive or two you will have no issues that you cant learn to handle.

Just no. First if you come to me and you have 1000psi you are not low enough for me to share air with you. You need to start working your way up the reef to shallower water which will save some air and then on to your safety stop then boat. This thought process is just a problem waiting to happen.

As my dive partner, are you leaving me alone or following me up? If you are leaving me alone, you are jeopardizing my safety and yours. You are my "buddy" aren't you?

Would you rather stay down for another 5 minutes, or surface with 1000psi in your tank? You paid for the air, you might as well use it.

Would you rather stay down for another 5 minutes, or surface with 1000psi in your tank? You paid for the air, you might as well use it.
You are focussed on the upside of air-sharing. Consider the downside....possible entanglement, panic, fast ascents, yoyo safety stops, etc. Are the "extra 5 minutes" worth the extra jeopardy?

You are focussed on the upside of air-sharing. Consider the downside....possible entanglement, panic, fast ascents, yoyo safety stops, etc. Are the "extra 5 minutes" worth the extra jeopardy?

Are you following your buddy to the surface or not?

Hiring a private dive is an excellent idea, at least for your first few days. You will likely be on the boat with the group but you & your private guide will do your own dive. He will be with you at all times, going at your pace, & you do not have to be concerned about staying with a group. I prefer to do private dives as much as possible. Hope you have a great trip! When are you going?

As my dive partner, are you leaving me alone or following me up? If you are leaving me alone, you are jeopardizing my safety and yours. You are my "buddy" aren't you?

If you were my buddy I would be coming up with you. I'm still not going to air share for you to extend your dive as that is not a good practice. I surface with 1000 - 1200 psi on a typical 60 - 70 minute tropical dive anyway. Over the years of diving in many different locations around the world I've learned to manage my air and extend my bottom times air share has never been in the equation for extending bottom time, is it done yes, is it a good practice no.

Nighthawk, how about having your buddy use a bigger tank? Way safer.

• Funny
Reactions: xan
If you were my buddy I would be coming up with you. I'm still not going to air share for you to extend your dive as that is not a good practice. I surface with 1000 - 1200 psi on a typical 60 - 70 minute tropical dive anyway. Over the years of diving in many different locations around the world I've learned to manage my air and extend my bottom times air share has never been in the equation for extending bottom time, is it done yes, is it a good practice no.
Actually, I think sharing air is a GOOD practice. It gives both divers a chance to practice the activity in a non stressful manner. The benefit of this should not be underestimated. Obviously everyone should maintain a safe reserve, but what good does it do (for the buddy team) for one person to get on the boat with 1200 psi?

Actually, I think sharing air is a GOOD practice. It gives both divers a chance to practice the activity in a non stressful manner. The benefit of this should not be underestimated. Obviously everyone should maintain a safe reserve, but what good does it do (for the buddy team) for one person to get on the boat with 1200 psi?
I don't disagree with practicing air sharing and believe it is a good thing to do. What I disagree with is using it as a tool to extend your dive. The good with coming back to the boat with some "extra" air is the what if's and it gives you time to figure it out but it is also not limiting my dives. What if the current picks up and you get blown away from the boat, what if your computer dies, what if a hose starts to leak, what if your SPG is off or broke? All of these have happened to me or my buddy in some very remote places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom