New diver first boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any tips to add, but I want to thank you for starting this thread. I also will be going on my first boat dive soon and, while I had been told most of this in class, it was good to read through it again. There were things I had forgotten.

My DSD day back in December was off a dive boat. The certified divers did their first dive while we got classroom and shallow-water practical, then we got back in the boat with the certified divers and went over to a wreck. The DSD divers went down the mooring rope (but we never went off the rope due to current and a traffic jam of DSD folks that day...) while the others dove the wreck.

Granted, as one doing DSD it was all new and the dive shop did just about everything for us, but thinking back I'm trying to recall what the certified divers were doing prior to the dive. There was a pre-dive brief before the (second for most) dive, but I don't recall much about non-decompression depths or times. I don't remember seeing anyone consulting an RDP or making entries in a dive log. There was a log of everyone's time in/out of the water, and pre- & post-dive pressures were recorded in the log.

Probably it was sensory overload on that day that made me miss many of the details. But now that I've had most of my OW training I'm wondering what the routine is from a planning standpoint on a dive like this where the DMs are pretty much the only ones with local knowledge and the divers are tourists, for lack of a better term, regardless of their overall diving experience. I guess I'd expect some level of dive planning whether the divers use tables or a comp, and dive log entries following the dive...

PdHenry,

Just a run down of my routine prior to a boat dive. Arrive early (I never want to be the guy who holds up the boat), plus it allows me time to set up my stuff without being cluttered and makes my dive more relaxing. I dive nitrox, so I have to analyze my gas, and mark my tanks. At this point I set up all my equipment in a way that takes up the least amount of space, but is still ready to go, including inputting the settings into my computer. Then just sit back for the ride out. As we start to get close to the site, I'll usually get any exposure protection on. If we are headed to an unfamiliar site, once the DM is completely finished with his briefing, I'll check my NDL for the dive in my computer, based on his depth. I like to work on the trust but verify method. I trust he is intelligent and qualified, but I always run the numbers myself. Splash around a bit in the water, then once the dives are over and I'm back at home, bluetooth the data from the computer to my digital logbook. I hope that helps with explaining how the planning/logging process occurs and why you might not notice others doing it. Welcome to the dive world!

Nothing to add except that things vary from boat to boat. As mentioned, listen to the briefing. If it's choppy water (or worse), time your entry onto the ladder. I started at age 51 and hit 60 shortly. Still not a problem--that stuff is heavy no matter what age you are. If you carry anything (camera, goodie bag, etc.) definitely hand that up first, then fins. Some boats have ladders that let you climb up with fins on now.

one thing I haven't seen that is worth mentioning. Respect the boat owner, tanks and lead are heavy and can scuff the gelcoat. just because you are tired from the dive and boarding, make sure your gear doesn't end up where it might leave a mark. My dad had a sailboat and when I used to clean the hull or such that was the most freaking important thing in the world...

I don't think it's been mentioned but entry technique (depending on what type of boat) is also a part of it. Giant stride on most charters or back roll on smaller boats. If you poke around the internet, you can find video.

Only thing to add from me is that when I approach the ladder I'm under the water and I take off my fins while still underwater. This helps lessen the affects of the swell. Once the fins are off and either on my arms or handed up I watch the movement of the ladder befor putting my foot on a rung. This helps ensure you make contact with the rung easily and don't either slip through the ladder and get hung up or fall backwards.

Not at all...just talk to the Captain & dive guide about other options for getting back on the boat such as taking your bcd & tank off first, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

great reading and great info....keep it coming !

Little things I learned from my boat diving:
1) Know what channel your boat's radio is on. I didn't need this, but the people floating in the water whose boat we were trying to call (we could see it, they couldn't see the people apparently) would have benefited from this.

2) If you have to roll, don't straighten your legs. The 5" bruise on my leg lasted for days and hurt like heck. Still a great dive though.

3) Do what the captain tells you.

Back
Top Bottom