New Diver Gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice. I think I will take it and learn more about the gear before I look to buy. I think renting equipment to try out is a good idea too.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will take it and learn more about the gear before I look to buy. I think renting equipment to try out is a good idea too.
Also, don't be afraid to ask to try other peoples gear as you get to know them... That and ask about try dives. There aren't any shops near me with an in hoise pool, but if there is near you many of those shops will let people pool test gear.
Enjoy the journey!
James

Some cons:
Wrap-around buoyancy (generally makes it harder to maintain horizontal trim during diving. Not impossible, but not optimal)

This is true if you do the same mistake as most people do (because that is what is usually taught in OW classes), fully inflate your BCD to stay surfaced.
Fully inflating your wing will naturally make you prone to tilting forward, the trick is to only inflate it enough to get your head above the water.
I've never had an issue with this even in relatively (1m-ish) chop, breathing is never a problem since you have your regulator supplying that.

Is it easier for someone new to diving to stay on the surface in a traditional BCD if there's some waves?
Maybe a little bit, but the benefits the BPW provides underwater far outweigh the "con" of learning how to utilize it on the surface IMO.

My 2 cents, I know a lot of people who hate the BPW setup and I know just as many who love it, try and see what works for you OP but an issue that arises is not always gear related, sometimes it can be solved by learning how to use the gear.
If you can try different kinds of gear before buying anything, do it!
Don't do what I (and many others on here I'm guessing) did and just buy gear similar to what you were handed during your first course, because a large majority of us ended up selling that and getting something else pretty quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom