New diver getting my certification, is my instructor doing it wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing that is keeping me is the disput with my credit card right now. I got charged $3000 that's not what I agreed to pay, there where extra charges and it's been a nightmere. I will name and report him however I came on here to find out what were acceptable standard for training. After posting this I found out about the charges and the guy was nowhere to be found. I stopped everything with him and was pursing a new instructor when my credit card was declined for all the charges in my card.

Im taking the actions my bank has suggested. I don't want to be made to feel stupid. I shopped around at first but I'm not farmiliar with scuba classes and pricing and I trusted this guy as I was told I should trust my instructor, I got a bad guy (I know not everyone's bad, in fact everyone has even extremely helpful and nice on this forum).

Im trying the bet I can to move forward, get my money back and report this guy to save anyone else from this headache.
Right now this is being handeled as a possiable criminal investigation with my bank, unless he says it was a mistake on his part or the credit card processing. So I need that to clear before naming him. Thanks for the feedback.

It's great to hear you're working towards a solution for yourself in not only the certification process (and HIS certification) but financial. I truly hope you get all your cash back, I couldn't imagine going through such a process.

Ear infections can Occur in the outer, middle and inner ear. I had infections in all 3. I have a doctors note stating that I saw him for a physical before my dive and I was fine. After I went diving I came back with an infection in all parts of my ear due to water build up in my ear and an inflamed eardrum. He cuncluded it had something to do with water and pressure exposure.

I know this seemed extraordinary and I can't believe it myself anymore. After researching and talking to naui, I have found he has opened shops under different names about 7 or 8 times and has a reputation for being a very "rough instructor".

So in other words, he's been sued or had close calls 7 or 8 times. I can't recall why anyone in business would have to close and reopen shops with different names for any other reason. Via the ear infection, youch. That sucks :( I'd mention* this to NAUI only if he persisted in telling you to come down further even with the block and you signalling it and continuing the class without you. Instructors are supposed to stay with you, make you feel comfortable and confident- while this isn't "the end of the world" on its own, it just culminates into the larger issue of poor instruction. Blocks happen to everyone and I'm sure I'm only repeating what you know that it's nothing to feel bad about. Just can't force it, I've had that lesson too by trying to free dive and hang out with my friend at the bottom while he scuba'd. Silly dumb decision given I didn't know what I was doing to myself.

@OzGriffo, a shop who's that afraid of bacteria? Honestly, do they not rent out regulators? Octos? What do they figure is on those? Even BCD inflator hoses are bound to have some DNA on them because of the oral inflation drills. As per requiring booties for a basic scuba package, that I get in cold water regions. It saves you money long term by buying you a piece of gear that will insulate you while choosing fins that will be compatible with them. If you lived in a warm climate I could see catering towards those with full foot boots and selling that sort of package.

I was charged for the basic course and then my dive fear and rentals which was around $650 total. Then my boat trip for him, myself and his girlfriend which was another $240. Then told I needed to pay extra for swim instruction with gear on (I have swam for 20 years but thought I was really bad with my gear on) so that was an extra $900, then on my credit card were all this miscellaneous charges.
OK, thanks for the breakdown. The $900 for extra swim instruction, and the $240 for the boat charter certainly makes the $3000 more understandable - not at all reasonable but easier to add up..
I feel like an idiot, but I'm taking proper action now.
Don't feel bad. You had no basis for knowing what a reasonable cost was.
The thing that is keeping me is the disput with my credit card right now. I got charged $3000 that's not what I agreed to pay, there where extra charges and it's been a nightmere. I will name and report him however I came on here to find out what were acceptable standard for training. After posting this I found out about the charges and the guy was nowhere to be found. I stopped everything with him and was pursing a new instructor when my credit card was declined for all the charges in my card.
Well, there may be 'good news' in this, if you and the bank can document credit card fraud. I know that doesn't help your financial situation right away, but it does appear from all you have said that there may be criminal activity involved. Yes, he may be able to wiggle out of the 'criminal' part by saying there were errors, but then he would have to refund the erroneous part to start. with.
Ear infections can Occur in the outer, middle and inner ear. I had infections in all 3.
OK, i understand the comment now.
I have a doctors note stating that I saw him for a physical before my dive and I was fine. After I went diving I came back with an infection in all parts of my ear due to water build up in my ear and an inflamed eardrum. He concluded it had something to do with water and pressure exposure.
Good. A student can develop ear problems unrelated to the quality of scuba instruction. But, having documentation that it occurred allows NAUI to focus on, what was the timing / timeliness of his response to you expression of ear pain?
I know this seemed extraordinary and I can't believe it myself anymore. After researching and talking to naui, I have found he has opened shops under different names about 7 or 8 times and has a reputation for being a very "rough instructor".
Interesting. My earlier comment about 'extraordinary' wasn't intended to suggest that it wasn't real. It is definitely extraordinary / very unusual. What I was trying to determine was whether this was a situation reflecting primarily a particularly bad instructor, or actual criminal activity. It appears that the latter is probably the case.
I agreed to pay a set amount and he kept charging my card without my knowledge. His shop has not been open since and I can't reach him. I will do what I can to keep anyone else out of this situation and prevent anything bad happening to a potential new student of his. I just have to do as my bank says and then call naui and follow through.
Sounds reasonable. The primary issue for you is the $3000. Once you resolve that, please follow up with NAUI. He might just go out and open yet another shop, and bilk some other unsuspecting students.

And, after the financial issue is resolved, I also encourage you to let people on SB know who he is.

I feel so bad that this happened. Bailey: as someone starting out into diving, you really have little idea what you are getting into. It is possible to ask around and do some initial research but you are still vulnerable. As a student I have also been taken advantage of but not like that. After reading this incident I am thinking of starting a website with the names and horror stories of sham scuba instructors.

There are some lawyers on this site and I hope the can look closely into this case and tell you where this guy has left grounds for a lawsuit. I remember there was a lawsuit where a diver was left in the water for a few hours by the boat and he won a suit against the boat operator for negligence. Someone more qualified in legal matters should help in this.

I would like to hope that this incident doesn't turn you off scuba ---
It hasn't. It has just made me see the importance of getting a great knowledgeable and reputable instructor. Once my money is back, I will be getting this done.

I feel like an idiot, but I'm taking proper action now.

Please don't feel like you're an idiot. You were uninformed. I REALLY hope this turns out financially for you and you find someone to give you the time and attention you need and deserve (I'm still talkin' about scuba). I think you will make a great asset to the team.

My God... for $3000 I'd give you unlimited diving and instruction for a month. LOL

and maybe even a flight to the Philippines... Coach of course!!! :wink:

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2013 at 12:14 PM ----------

I would like to hope that this incident doesn't turn you off scuba ---

It hasn't. It has just made me see the importance of getting a great knowledgeable and reputable instructor. Once my money is back, I will be getting this done.

I think a lot of us got lucky when we did our initial training... My OW was a bit sketchy but I had a great mentor (I will use mentor rather than instructor and we can leave well enough alone) I had no idea regarding different agencies or no clue of what was what when I first started. All I know is I walked into a place of business looking for something completely unrelated to diving several years ago.

We had just returned form the Galapgose from a land trip and loved the snorkling. Wife said were getting trained in Scuba and since I had always wanted to, we did... I told her I knew a place that gave Scuba lessons and off we were... It turned out to be a PADI shop but it also could have been any number of different agencies at the time and I would have been clueless as to what benefits one holds over another.

I felt I was treated well and it was a pleasent experience for both of us... But as I said, I had a great Mentor!!!

lee

So Bailey....when all is said and done and you need a really great instructor to make up for the bozo you had the first time around, I can totally reccomend Robert Arak ( who posted on ur thread already). He's fantastic. He trained my 14 year old son (several years ago) and we've dove with him quite a lot since then. Top notch instructor. But get your situation cleared before you move on...and I hope you do. Diving is great.....and Southern Cal diving is fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom