New Diver Going HOG-DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MBH:
I guess the crotch strap would foil the local comedian from de-pantsing another diver during a deco stop.:D

Isn't the crotch strap a key ingredient to the de-pantsing manuever? No wait; sorry, I guess it's the atomic wedgie. I'm behind.:D

MSilvia:
Nice! OxyCheq makes a great wing. :thumbs_up:

Why? Do you think Halcyon is "more DIR" than other brands of similar gear? A DR plate is as valid a choice as the next brand, as far as I'm aware.

Eh, everyone knows the Blue H is synonymous with DIR and GUE. I don't dive Halcyon, and definitely not DIR, but I do know politics. The whole situation is very similar to Gov. Perry receiving campaign monies from Merck, and then telling the state of Texas every girl has to have the HPV vaccine by 6th grade.

MSilvia:
Nice! OxyCheq makes a great wing. :thumbs_up:

Why? Do you think Halcyon is "more DIR" than other brands of similar gear? A DR plate is as valid a choice as the next brand, as far as I'm aware.

Just more DIR-I(Internet) myths :)

Eh, everyone knows the Blue H is synonymous with DIR and GUE.

I really HOPE this was tongue in cheek.

GUE training does not advise or recommend brands. They do have criteria for good gear, but I took Fundies in an Oxycheq plate with a DSS wing, and not a word was said. I will take Rec Triox in an OMS plate and Deep Outdoors wing, and I'm quite sure that once again, not a word will be said. As long as the gear is good quality and meets the criteria (it's a back plate, and the wing doesn't have multiple or pull dumps, and has a short enough corrugated hose) it does not matter what brand it is.

PvilleStang:
Eh, everyone knows the Blue H is synonymous with DIR and GUE. I don't dive Halcyon, and definitely not DIR, but I do know politics.
Yeah... everyone who believes popular misinformation that gets perpetuated in posts they read in internet forums, and who has no first hand experience with which to evaluate it knows that. :shakehead

I almost went with a Halcyon BP/W but after trying on the DR plate at Divers Supply and finding that it fit me perfectly....

The Oxycheq wing seemed like a no-brainer after reading about it here on SB.

I have nothing against Halcyon at all. I think they have some really cool gear, But I also believe that my gear is just as good, and I saved a ton of cash to boot.

MBH:
I have nothing against Halcyon at all. I think they have some really cool gear, But I also believe that my gear is just as good, and I saved a ton of cash to boot.
I totally agree. I have a Halcyon single wing that I got used for a great price, and it's been wonderful... no complaints at all. I use an OxyCheq doubles wing, and I find that the quality is comparable. The price points on the two manufacturers' wings are the most significant diffence in my mind, and that being the case I'm inclined to get the one that costs less, as I did when I got my Abyss backplate during their closeout sale. It's roughly as good as the others, and cost half as much.

MSilvia:
Yeah... everyone who believes popular misinformation that gets perpetuated in posts they read in internet forums, and who has no first hand experience with which to evaluate it knows that. :shakehead

Okay, so I have several friends who are DIR advocates, and two of them live by the H. I understand they don't force you to wear their gear, but when you got guys at the top of GUE who are also on the tops of Halcyon and Gavin Scooters, and then you watch their GUE DIR DVD's and see how much time and effort they spend to show off their gear, while belittling competitors products under their breaths. I did learn a lot of good things out of their DVDs and better understand some of their decisions they've advocated across the board. But come on, you can't be so blind as to not see what's going on here... AND please take notice, I am NOT trolling the DIR forum, rather posting in the HOG forum.

LOL! Classic.

Better tell George Irvine to take back those Halcyon inflators he tossed out! :)

I have my share of Halcyon gear. But I can tell you with no hesitation that members of the inner sanctum of DIR/GUE own products by many companies, even those competing with Halcyon. By the way, the guy at Gavin has nothing to do with Halcyon or GUE.

We are not blind to the fact that if you are watching a video from one company, you should expect to see gear produced by that company's owner. That goes for anyone from Halcyon to GM, to Apple Inc.

You're saying that a training organization, an approach to diving, and a brand of equipment are all the same thing? That seems obviously incorrect. I'll grant you that certain members of the GUE board are also closely involved with equipment manufacturers that cater to DIR divers (although so far as I know, Gavin scooters is not one of them), and that those individuals have an interest in cross-promoting their gear. That does not, however, mean that those brands are synonymous with GUE, or even that GUE is synonymous with DIR. Yeah, they like to position the gear they make, use, and sell in their videos, but that doesn't equate to that gear being the "official" DIR brands.

Your two friends who "Live by the H" do not speak for DIR divers in general.

PvilleStang:
please take notice, I am NOT trolling the DIR forum, rather posting in the HOG forum.
I could care less what forum you troll, but not much less. Posting conjecture and off-base assumptions about DIR in the HOG forum doesn't prohibit people from pointing out that it's hogwash.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom