new diver going to Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justmebeck

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a brand new open water diver and planning on diving Puerto Galera next month (late Feb.). I'm wondering if there are better clubs to go with over there (I've been looking at Action Divers) or any advice you may have! Know of an inexpensive resort that will keep the rest of the family happy while I'm out diving? Also, what suit will keep me warm enough (I'm Canadian, but hate being cold, eh) and enjoying the experience. Thank you!

most people were using 3mm wetsuits with hoods when i was there about a week ago, but they complained that it was cold. i used a 5mm wetsuit with hood and felt comfortable the whole time.

really? then he should bring his hood just in case.

i dived bauan (across PG) last weekend water temp was 81F...i used a 0.5mm, no hood hehehe

btw, (stupid question, but i really don't know the answer) would waters around PG be way different in temp with batangas waters?

In my experience in PG, it is way colder than Anilao, even on shallow depth. February, it's still too cold to dive. :)

jonix:
really? then he should bring his hood just in case.

i dived bauan (across PG) last weekend water temp was 81F...i used a 0.5mm, no hood hehehe

btw, (stupid question, but i really don't know the answer) would waters around PG be way different in temp with batangas waters?

i didn't notice any difference in water temp between pg and anilao - i think my computer was averaging about 26 degrees celcius for both. but some of the guys wearing 3mm wetsuits were also freezing in anilao on the longer and repetitive dives.

if you just do 30min dives with long surface intervals and warm showers imbetween then 3mm and no hood is fine, or maybe even 0.5mm. if your dives last about an hour on average and necessarily don't always use surface intervals then i think the 5mm with hood is your best bet.

It was 28 C over at anilao during the weekend

Axua:
It was 28 C over at anilao during the weekend

maybe, i have two computers that produce slightly different readings, so maybe 28 degrees is more accurate - either way, the readings i got for pg and anilao were similar within days of each other roughly a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom