New diver having integrated weight problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like perhaps the BC needed service or the weights weren't put in correctly? Not knowing what BC it was I can't really say. If you can afford to buy your own gear - do so. BCs have many moving parts and if you dive infrequently or are just getting back into diving, it is always nice to use the same BC everytime so it's familiar and comfortable for you (mentally and physically). Many divers use weight integrated all of their life with no problems so don't be too terrified - next time you rent gear, be sure to look it over at the shop, hook it all up to a tank, fill it with weights and perhaps tip the tank over and be sure the weights stay where they belong. Be sure to pull the weights out and that the quick release function is working properly before leaving the shop. You can request a different BC if anything appears to not be working in a questionable manner.

Ahh dag namb it. I have a 2 year old mares BC. Im a bit foot heavy so with a 5kg loading I run 1kg in the two tank pockets and only 1.5 in each weight pocket. I have awhile ago snagged my left pocket a few times and had to "reclick" the weight pouch.
I put it down to simple clumsyness on my part. but the description of the pocket riding forward fits.
Given I otherwise like the bc I wonder. Would a strip of velcro on the lip of the weight pocket be a good belt n braces for the normal toggle ? Im thinking a single strip 3/4 inch wide and 2 inch long -enough to hold it in place against gravity not enough to stop iut being deliberately removed

During my OW cert class, I used my hubs Scubapro with integrated weight pockets. One of the pockets dislodged on one of my dives. Hubs said this was just not possible. On a subsequent dive, another diver lost one of his. On this past weekend's dive, hubs managed to do the supposed 'impossible" - he lost a weight pocket! Thankfully, someone found it.
It's never possible until it actually happens to hubby, lol!

---------- Post Merged at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Ouch - recipe for a serious disaster here - most computers that I have used cannot be reset between dives and also have a function which locks them out if a deco violation is recorded and they then can't be resused, except in gauge mode until a certain period of time has passed. Also many computers allow you to set personal levels so you can adjust how conservative or otherwise they are. In short I would say unless you know how the computer works inside out, and can check things like personal levels for yourself I would not be relying on a hired computer except in gauge mode as a depth and bottom timer. You have no idea of the last dive profile, which will affect what it tells you is your NDL's, but also you don't know if personal settings have been programmed to make it more or less conservative and this can significantly change the risks of DCI if it is set to settings for a superfit regular diver, and if you are neither superfit, diving regularly, or have other predispositions to DCI the algorithym could be more risky for you.

I don't know how common rental of dive computers is (it isn't around where I dive) but I think it is not particulalry advisable to rely on a rental computer for deco and NDLs like this. Use paper tables and use the computer as a backup/depth/timer in gauge mode. - P
Do students even get trained on tables anymore? The classes that I've been helping with ( not my husband's, he insists on tables) don't teach tables. I was amazed. They come in with their e-test, go over the wrong answers. Do an afternoon of pool work. Another morning of OW. Log the computer into their book. Done.

Do students even get trained on tables anymore? The classes that I've been helping with ( not my husband's, he insists on tables) don't teach tables. I was amazed. They come in with their e-test, go over the wrong answers. Do an afternoon of pool work. Another morning of OW. Log the computer into their book. Done.

Some classes still do. And some still teach basic rescues, some still teach skin diving skills, and some even cover buddy breathing.

The weight belts don't work for me because they just slide right off my hips, so I bought very nice BC with integrated pockets. I have still had problems with weights. One day an entire pocket fell out with 10lbs of soft weights (I guess I brushed the velcro with my arm, glad my buddy was right there for me) and another day I had several hard weights slide out on me through the little opening (luckily, I found most of them on the way back to shore). My solution was to invest in a harness system from DUI. As an added bonus, it allowed me to carry enough weight for drysuit diving.

If we rent BCD's we carry weight belts in case we need them, we are also looking to do away with our integrated weights and use strictly belt weights. I have had problems under water with my pockets and am paranoid about loosing them. We have Seaquest jacket style BCD's from 2008, really would like something lighter for travel.

Oceanic weight pouches have a velcro flap and a solid positive snap fitting. My family has five Oceanic BCDs of different sizes and styles, we have never lost a weight pouch. If you want a standard BCD look at the Oceanic line.

Back
Top Bottom