New diver here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MI Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My kids and I became certified OW in September of this year and we will be heading to Mexico, Puerto Morelos - El Cid resort. I have been reading the forums and find almost all the information very valuable since it is all new to me. I will be diving in about a month with my childeren 13 year old twins and a 16 year old. I do not think I want to dive alone with them so I am considering enrolling all of us in the advance OW class so we can continue our education and have a Dive Master with us on the dives, I was wondering what everyone might think about that approach. When we did the OW we all did very well and everyone was very comfortable but Much like when I rock climb I do not think I want to rely on my 13 year olds in a tense life and death situation untill they and I have more experienc.

Thanks for all the info so far. Bob

Welcome to the board. I think it is great that you have the foresight to recognize your comfort level and experiance, and want additional help to ensure the kids safety.

Depends on the diving you want to do, but I am sure you can find a shop with a DM who will be happy to help.

with 3 kids in tow and being new divers, I agree that you really SHOULDN'T dive without a DM or instructor around. Maybe just get a good Diveguide instead of signing up for a course? although that advance OW course will come in mighty handy.

Welcome to the Scubaboard! Congrats on your family OW certification, that's great as you have opened a whole new world of fun of r all of you.
Seeking additional training for all of you is a great idea as I 'm a firm believer in "the more you know the better and safer you are in the long run." Besides what a better way to enjoy more time with your kids!!!

Congratulation on your family certification!!!!
Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Thank-you all for the welcome. I am currently talking to a few dive shop in the Puerto Morelos area and they all seem to agree that training is good and they want to check us out in a pool dive and then an open ocean checkout before we start the class which I think is a good approach. Thanks again. Bob

Welcome to another Michigander....my wife and oldest son are also certified, youngest son hopefully soon....makes it nice to have a family of divers....at least we can all agree what to do on a given weekend.

Congrats and enjoy the diving with the kids!!

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Howdy and welcome to SB!

It's even more fun when you load an Avatar (personal pic for each post) and a Profile pic. See UserCP to access these if you'd like to...? :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Back
Top Bottom