New Diver....Hooked in a big way!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son and I are newly certified divers, and are hooked!

The journey started about 9 months ago when my 11yo son was invited to an intro to scuba birthday party at our LDS. An afternoon spent in the 12 foot pool had him hooked. Our good friends and neighbors dive, and have kids around the same age as mine, so we decided to plan a holiday dive vacation together - before my son and I were even certified!

September and October found us completing all of our classroom and pool work. Universal referrals in hand, we finished our OW certifications in Roatan over Christmas, then spent another week diving on Utila. I had to take a few days off from diving in the second week (ear issues), but my son completed 22 dives over the course of our vacation. Each dive master and instructor he dove with noted that his skills are solid, powers of observation keen, and maturity level high. Looks like I'll have a solid dive buddy for years to come!

So.... a wild ride. We are hooked in a big way....and have already booked the resort in Utila for 2 weeks next year.

Very nice. Glad for your son he's hitting the hobby and off to a good stop; I was 36 years old at my 1st dive. Also glad you found good places to dive. There are a range of good options out there, and you'll read about them - Bonaire, Cozumel, Key Largo (Florida Keys), etc...

Richard.

Welcome to SB! I love hearing about new divers finding love for the "underwater arts"! Keep diving and remember to always strive to learn!

Welcome! Im new also, got certified at age 55. There is a ton of info on this site, and if you post a question you will have plenty of feed back.

Have fun, with the son! They grow up all too soon. Be sure to post pics of him diving so he can show his jealous buddies.

Welcome!

Hopefully you'll become an active participant! We can always use another voice in the conversation.

Ray

Welcome! Diving with your children adds a whole dimension to the underwater experience - once you relax and stop worrying about them, and then realise they're better than you.

PS I have 3 kids but only one of them dives. (She's my favourite, but I haven't told the other 2 that. :) )

Back
Top Bottom