New diver in Utah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randybperry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello every one ... :mooner:

I've been certified for a few years but haven't gone out much. Just got back form the Bahamas where I made my first ocean dive and my first boat dive. Their is nothing like doping over the side of a dive boat. Now I can't wait to get back in the water...

Randy, welcome to ScubaBoard. So when you first splashed in the Bahamas and saw all the color and marine life did you giggle?
For some 'local' flavor make sure you visit the Rock Mountain Oyster section of SB.

Dive safe

Randy, welcome to ScubaBoard. So when you first splashed in the Bahamas and saw all the color and marine life did you giggle?

Yes i did ...This was allso my first shark dive... i couldn't help myself....

Welcome, must be tough to dive in the desert? What gear configuration do you use?

Welcome, must be tough to dive in the desert? What gear configuration do you use?
Thats what I'm looking into now. I would like to do some deeper wreck dives and maybe some cave dives.. So I'm trying to decide to buy for now or buy for the future.

Randy, I am traveling to Utah in May on business, I have never been to Utah much less dove there, any recommendations on dive sites?

Randy, I am traveling to Utah in May on business, I have never been to Utah much less dove there, any recommendations on dive sites?
hpope, you're coming around 'shoulder season'. Most of the lakes will be around the 50's unless you're traveling to southern Utah. Sand Hollow, Lake Powell or Lake Mead in Nevada should be around 65-70 by then. Otherwise you're left with the geothermal ponds. Blue Lake (74 deg), The Crater (90 deg), Seabase (72 deg) or Belmont Springs (90 deg)

If you're a skier it's great skiing weather then. :)

Hi Randy,
I saw Utah and had to say welcome back to scuba. When I got my Instructor cert we did our dive exams in the blue lake (?) outside of Salt Lake City. While the water temp was 80 degrees, we had to walk with full gear in the snow over frozen water puddles with crates to get there. Once in the water visibility was no more than 8 feet. Made me much happier with Lake Mead even though at the time the temp was in the 50's. Always nice to experience a dive such as the Bahamas to make you want to get back in and stay active.

I've dove Blue lake, Crater and Seabase and can say the best is Blue lake but it aroung two hr from salt lake ... the Crater an easy trip and will be the most comfortavle temp but not much to see ... seabase was my least faverite it was mudy and cold but the people are grat ... my last trip to seabase was around four years ago and a ow class just got out, it waws prity muerky but things change and they ceep adding new stuff.

Anyway to aswer the ? I would say the crater and seabase are your best bet and seabase has far more to see as long as your the only one in.

Welcome to utah lett me know if you need derections anywere...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom