New diver, looking at equipment to grow with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunnbusyguy

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

This is my first post on this forum. I think I'm glad I found you guys/ gals to bounce some questions off of, only time will tell.
I live in Sacramento, Ca. and have been under just a total of 4 times to a depth of 40 ft. all of them on the same weekend in Monterey with my PADI instructor (whom I really thought was thorough and knowledgable). Obviously these dives were cold water dives, but I wasn't bothered by this as I had a good buddy of mine lend me all of his gear for the trip which included 7mm exposure covering from head to toe. I really enjoyed the experience (I grew up in and around the ocean, and was oretty sure this would have been the case).
The other equipment I used on this dive were the Dive Rite Transpac, Mares Abyss Reg., a Vyper 2 Air integrated computer, Oceanic B12 Split fins etc.
I know by alot of peoples standards this is pretty good equipment right? I am now looking at purchasing my own equipment before I take my advanced class and so on. I have several other friends that dive quite a bit and they both have high end Apeks xtx200 regs along with the Apeks wtx tech BC's. Again all good stuff correct?
My dilemna is I am the guy who always takes things much further than most of my buddies and usually become the "go to guy" as far as questions concerning techniques/ equipment for whatever the "thing" may be. The world of diving I am discovering goes extremely deep (pun not intended) on both ends of the spectrum from equipment to qualifications/ technique.

Having virtually no knowledge/ experience in this field it is fairly intimidating deciding what I need and what I don't, how fast to progress etc.
I have already done alot of reading about deep diving, mixed gas diving, rebreathers, tech diving etc. etc. and am interested and bewildered at the same time.

I already know that I will be buying a DUI wetsuit, some kind of "tech rig" though I am discovering this is a loose term, a good reg setup that will not limit me for quite some time even as far as ice diving, tech diving mixed gas etc. I am looking for any words of wisdom/ sugestions that some knowledgable and experienced divers can give me regarding equipment, classes, level of advancement, good places to research/ learn etc.

Sorry about my first post ever being so long winded, I just have so many questions whirling around in my head and don't want to sell myselfshort yet at the same time don't want to get i to deep to fast (again, no pun intended).

Thanks everybody,
Kevin

First off you want to look @ A BP/W set up for your BCD if your goal is to advance into tech also Look @ a dry suit instead of a wetsuit. You will buy one soon anyway if you dive cold water. The BP/W set up will grow with you as you go "Deeper" into this hobby. just my 2p.s.i.:popcorn:

Thanks for the quck (but short) response, when you say BD/W setup you mean Backplate and wing right? I am still trying to learn all of the diving acronyms. I kind f was leaning toward this, but not sure about where to go with it. I have read alot about people piecing together thier systems from different manufacturers, or even making some of thier components (which I am not afraid to do, I am fairly handy with alot of things). Shuld I do more research about this kind of thing or just go with purchasing one of the Dive Rite, OMS, Apeks etc ready to go units for now?

Spandex.

"Shuld I do more research about this kind of thing or just go with purchasing one of the Dive Rite, OMS, Apeks etc ready to go units for now?"

It seems to me that if you are looking for something to "grow with you," you should avoid "for now" purchases.

I dive an OMS backplate and wing with a mix of Scubapro, Atomic, and OMS regs. I have been very happy with all of them. I don't think you can beat a DUI drysuit either. All their suits have a 7 year warranty. The TLS 350 is the most popular, and in my opinion the most comfortable. If you are considering a DUI, try and attend DOG Days when it is in your area. Locations and dates are posted on DUI's website. You can try all the suits you are interested in, and get measured. The backplate and wing will provide you with a versatile rig that will allow you to do any type of diving you want.

You should do your research. Ask other divers you know what they like and don't like. Equipment is a very personal issue, but if tech is in your future, consider buying equipment that is very similiar to what tech divers in your area are using.

Welcome to Scubaboard. I wouldn't get too tied up in the specifics of gear just dive dive and dive some more. Purchase some used/quality gear and get some experience then make some more informed decisions.

BP/W is definitely the way to go in my opinion. I like the Oxycheq Mach V 30 lb. wing and Hog harness with whichever BP I am using.

If you honestly think that you WILL move into technical diving, just buy a backplate system now. It makes a very nice system to dive for recreational purposes (at least I find it so) and you will likely not have to replace all of it as you move on. Although contemplating technical diving without the intestinal fortitude to spend obscene sums of money on gear is inadvisable :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom