New diver looking for summer suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get hooked up with locals. do some diving, most likely you will understand that you do not need AOW yet :) This is the path I took :) so it's a bit objective. But the last few practices of basic skills like reg exchange in 38F water (when the buddy hose became hard to bend and my fingers do not really have that great feeling of things in 6 mil mitts) made me realized that I'm not fluent with the basics yet and proved that my path is right.

And the more I dive the more I question those qualification. Not even AOW after the OW class but even a master scuba diver at 50 dives. I see no way to be MSD at 50 dives. Sounds like a joke to me now.

AOW, proficiency in navigation deep and 3 more in 5 dives, this is unrealistic.
I opted one of the certs. for an unlimited season refill card. Might re- consider taking the course ofter 50 more dives.

Hi, I did an open water course last December. I had great instructors and learned a lot, not one of those vacation courses where they don't teach you anything.

I'm planning on doing a lot of diving this summer, I haven't done anything since the course because of school. I'm thinking of two options for starting out. 1. Meet up with a local dive club and do some simple stuff like shore diving. Or 2, I'm interested in doing an advanced open water course just to get exposure to different aspects of diving. Or I guess I can do both.

Is either approach a better one of the other? Or is there an even better idea?

Thanks

both are a great idea i would start with the dive club first and build up your skills first as the advanced class builds on openwater skills best to get some dives in first and build up you skills and comfort under water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom