New Diver, Need regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it seems not many shops locally service HOG regulators in Miami, I wonder if I'm going to have the same problem with servicing Deep Six regulators here in Miami.

Deep6 is building on the user-serviceable trend, which is new to the dive industry as a marketing concept. Even if you don't want to service your own regs, they will do it for you, and include a free first service as part of the Signature package, I believe.
This attitude has HUGE support here on Scubaboard, and we are not a small influence. The regulators are not difficult to service, as they are similar to other major manufacturer designs.
I expect that even if you can't find a local shop this year, that may well have changed by the time your second service is due. This will become a tidal wave, breaking the lock that manufacturers have had on the parts market.
This is a tough pill for many shops to swallow, but to retain business, I don't see how they can afford to keep alienating customers who want to use them for service. Not everyone wants to service their own gear.
If you like the pricepoint and features of Deep6, go for it!

My 2¢

I got the B2 about a month ago I love it. Turret and swivel is new to me and its great.

The impetus behind the Hog brand originally was Chris Richardson (cerich) you might also notice he owns Deep6 now.

I respectfully disagree with rsingler. In my area - the Deep6 service model is not working. And Hog is a minor player in the dozen or so shops.

I don't service regs - I could but I don't. I considered Deep6 so did a little checking - contacted 4 shops I'm likely to visit locally. One of them is a Deeo6 distributor, one of them said they would service the reg if I provided the parts kit and two said their liability insurance would not allow it.

You can always send it back to them - in GA I believe. But what if you want to dive tomorrow?

HOG will never have the worldwide dealer base of Scubapro or Aqualung.
Look at the Hog website dealer locator and see if their coverage is where you might dive. Although they likely have a dealer in the MIA area.

The people who are Deep6 promoters here - many of them do their own servicing. If you think you will - it makes sense - good value for the money without the overhead shops affiliated with a major brand charge.

You can't even buy parts for Aqualung regs from a dealer since all their products clearly state all service is thru their authorized dealers only and they hold them to that.

Atomics are a little pricier than some but good breathers in all conditions except maybe specialized extreme cold.
I've owned several. Over time the two year recommended service interval negates most of the higher initial cost. Reg service cost is labor not parts.

I expect that even if you can't find a local shop this year, that may well have changed by the time your second service is due. This will become a tidal wave, breaking the lock that manufacturers have had on the parts market.

I hope this is the case, but I am not so positive. When I got my HOG regulator, I was thinking that. But today, I still have very limited local support, although by now I don't need it anymore. Having local support is NOT about doing routine service, it is about when the reg needs smaller adjustment, either right after coming back from service, or in the middle of service interval, not having a local support on this can really sucks. You are forced to send it out for just a smaller adjustment.

Working on your own reg is very easily and common for more seasoned divers. But for new divers, I can't imagine too many looking to do that. Plus it is not like other brand don't let you do it. I have been working on my own Atomics, scubapro and Aqualung for a while too. Parts and tools are just as easy to access..

I don't know how much Atomic Z2 cost today. It use to be at similar price range as HOG. I would recommend this for first timer.

I don't know how much Atomic Z2 cost today.

MSRP is in the $400-450 range for the z2 1st and 2nd stage.

I've been very tempted by the deep6 offerings, but haven't been able to convince myself over concerns of future supplier obsolescence. I wish the best for deep 6, but feel that there's a gamble with any small business that 5 years from now when I need parts or want to send the regulator in for service that they'll be available. As someone looking to buy my 1st regulator set, even feeling comfortable doing my own services, that holds me back.

I'm about a year beyond where you are. I sought out a full kit so I could pursue AOW localy (Dive in the quarry - consider yourself lucky, you can be in Key Largo in the time it takes me to get to my local spot where viz on a good day is 30ft and bottom temps finally break above 50 by the end of summer)

I chose HOG regs because they were well recommended by knowledgeable folks that I trusted, in the end I want to be fully self reliant and do my own service, and HOG was closing out their older D1 first stages (as far as I know, functionally equivalent to the D3s) making for some killer deals. I bought through Divers Supply and paid <$400 for each of 3 complete regulator sets: D1 first stage, Zenith 2nd and (Classic or Zenith) backup/octo, reg-hoses, and a 3-guage analog console.

If you decide to go the HOG route through Diver's Supply, I would suggest that you call them and see if they can set you up with the D3, (2) Zenith 2nd stages instead of a dedicated octo (and maybe their Sea-Elite 2 or 3 gauge compact analog console if you'd prefer a wrist-mount computer) and see what it would cost. Going with the duplicate 2nds means that you can carry one 2nd service kit for field repairs in a travel kit that will work for both or you can swap to your "octo" if your primary 2nd is acting up and have a reg that breathes just as well. You can get yellow purge-cover inserts to make it look like an octo.

On the other hand, you are lucky and have relatively easy access to one of the premier, tech-oriented online retailers, that also "hides" a local dive shop. Dive Gear Express in Pompano Beach. They sell (house branded) Deep Six regs (their 1st stage looks a lot like the HOG D1 - remember that the owner of Deep Six used to own HOG) and service all Deep Six Regs. Might want to check out their site and maybe give them a call.

Last edited:
MSRP is in the $400-450 range for the z2 1st and 2nd stage.

I've been very tempted by the deep6 offerings, but haven't been able to convince myself over concerns of future supplier obsolescence. I wish the best for deep 6, but feel that there's a gamble with any small business that 5 years from now when I need parts or want to send the regulator in for service that they'll be available. As someone looking to buy my 1st regulator set, even feeling comfortable doing my own services, that holds me back.

This is one thing that I won’t worry about. The support from deep6 will be there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom